Need Sound Chip 344S1033-A for LC II

jcm-1

Tinkerer
Anyone have a reliable source on 344S1033-A sound chips?

I need one to fix a busted LC II, and then a few more just to keep around...

EDIT: The LC II is fixed. Now I just need one or two spare chips for future repairs.

Last edited:

funwithaluminum

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
To my knowledge they are custom model-specific ASICs, so your only source is another LC II (or perhaps LC III or CC?) motherboard.

No sound after recapping seems like a common problem on LC IIs (not sure if this is your situation). In my case, repairing the connection to the sound chip's +8V source and leaving the machine on the shelf for half a year (which I guess led to some conductive residue evaporating?) caused the sound to start working again without replacing the chip. Others have reported that removing, cleaning underneath, and re-soldering the sound chip restores the sound without chip replacement.

jcm-1

Tinkerer
Thank you. My hope was some random stashy-place someone might have some chips. I've contacted one of those "NOS" sourcers to see if they can get me some. I may be able to get enough quantity to sell them on my website for folks who need them.

As far as diagnosing the problem: yeah, not a spring chicken. I've done all that. :D Recapped, chip removed/cleaned/reinstalled, fixed broken traces, tested the amp chip, etc. Long story short: sound chip doesn't output sound on Pin 10 like it's supposed to. Swapped chip from another board fixed the problem.

funwithaluminum

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
I actually didn't notice the bio previously; I've enjoyed some of your YouTube videos. Of course you knew that stuff stuff already....

Reactions: jcm-1

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I have had no luck sourcing them before, but do let me know if you manage to find somewhere with some!

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I just purchased a couple 343S0129-01 for my "Takky" color classic as the one logic board I was using had a bad one too.
swapping a good chip in was the only fix as well, unfortunately as years go on this will begin to cause some headaches unless there is a replacement option :(

Good news in my case is that the 5200 and 6500 use the same one, aside from the -01 or -C identifier.
PXL_20220130_031025488.jpg

verault

New Tinkerer
Jun 28, 2022
Anyone have a reliable source on 344S1033-A sound chips? I need one to fix a busted LC II, and then a few more just to keep around...
Did you ever find a replacement?> My LC III needs a sound chip too.
I just purchased a couple 343S0129-01 for my "Takky" color classic as the one logic board I was using had a bad one too.
swapping a good chip in was the only fix as well, unfortunately as years go on this will begin to cause some headaches unless there is a replacement option :(

Good news in my case is that the 5200 and 6500 use the same one, aside from the -01 or -C identifier.
View attachment 3222
Do you have a spare or does the seller have more as my Color classic needs that sound chip as well..

Are you guys noticing the trend with failing Sound ASICS? This is a problem.

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Did you ever find a replacement?> My LC III needs a sound chip too.

Do you have a spare or does the seller have more as my Color classic needs that sound chip as well..

Are you guys noticing the trend with failing Sound ASICS? This is a problem.
PM'd

verault

New Tinkerer
Jun 28, 2022
I gave my LC III another look and I either had some debris or a bad solder joint on the 344S1033 and I now have sound again on my LC III. Which is a relief as I have been looking for 344S1033 chips all year and there are NONE!

Drake

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I gave my LC III another look and I either had some debris or a bad solder joint on the 344S1033 and I now have sound again on my LC III. Which is a relief as I have been looking for 344S1033 chips all year and there are NONE!
That is like an early christmas miracle ahha.

mitchkramez

New Tinkerer
May 18, 2022
South Dakota of all places
Hey @jcm-1 maybe a long shot, but check continuity from the positive site of the 1uf 50v cap (c22) to the pin 9 of the sounchip (2nd pin from the back of the board on the side closest to c22). I've had that trace get damaged and it's almost impossible to see, and you'll get no sound. Just one more thing to check :)

jcm-1

Tinkerer
Hey @jcm-1 maybe a long shot, but check continuity from the positive site of the 1uf 50v cap (c22) to the pin 9 of the sounchip (2nd pin from the back of the board on the side closest to c22). I've had that trace get damaged and it's almost impossible to see, and you'll get no sound. Just one more thing to check :)
Thanks for letting me know. I checked all of that prior to my post (recapping, cleaning, trace repair, etc.). ;) In any case, I got the machine working with the original sound chip. All it took was setting the machine aside for a week and trying again.

I kid you not: I just waited a week and it started working again.

mitchkramez

New Tinkerer
May 18, 2022
South Dakota of all places
Better than the other direction - had a lc power supply i recapped that was working perfectly for months... set it aside, and came back to it this week, now it's just ticking ☹️ We'll have to open it back up and figure out what's going on with it again...