Netatalk 2.2.7 Released

rdmark

Staff member
Oct 3, 2021
Five and a half years in the making: We finally have an official upstream Netatalk 2.2.7 release.

Since 2.2.6 was completely broken on Linux, this is the first properly useful Netatalk release for 68k Macs since 2013.

Note that the Github changelog isn't complete. Please see NEWS for the full changelog.

I still can't believe we finally pulled this off. I couldn't have made this happen without the kind support and effort from the community, including NJRoadfan, cheesestraws, Chris Kobayashi, Nat and Hauke from the NetBSD community, and of course the sole active Netatalk maintainer slowfranklin. Apologies in advance if I forgot to mention someone!

My own Netatalk 2.x fork is alive and well, and probably still the better choice if you're building from scratch, but the exciting part about having an official upstream release is that package maintainers of major distros out there can start integrating it. Wouldn't it be neat if Netatalk 2 was just an apt-get away again? :)

bakkus

Staff member
Mar 18, 2022
Fantastic work! I know you all have been working really hard on this.
Thank you very much for this service to the community.

Reactions: rdmark

rdmark

Staff member
Oct 3, 2021
Quick note that we found an issue with the release tarball. A header file hasn't been included by the dist script. This is being addressed in https://github.com/Netatalk/Netatalk/pull/183

A workaround is to clone the git repo, check out the branch-netatalk-2-2 branch, and build the code from there.

Update: I hotfixed the 2.2.7 tarball. :)

Last edited:

rdmark

Staff member
Oct 3, 2021
FYI, I was promoted to "developer" of the upstream project, and was given admin privileges of the official website. So over the last week I've been updating the website (netatalk.sourceforge.io), fixing dead URLs etc., as well as making the 2.2 manual current with the state of the software. The manual should now be a good resource for installing and using Netatalk, so please check it out, and let me know if you see more improvement areas!

In fact, I imported the manual's xml docbook sources into the netatalk repo proper, so making improvements to the documentation is only a Github PR away!