New BlueSCSI PDS Card slot bracket for Macintosh SE and SE/30

P1000198.JPG

I recently embarked on creating a custom 3d printed mount that would allow me to mount my BlueSCSI device inside of a Macintosh SE's PDS Card slot!

Now this might seem pretty strange, but there are actually several benefits to using the PDS Expansion slot to mount the BlueSCSI in.
For one, it provides direct access to the BlueSCSI's SD Card slot from the back of the computer, this is really handy if your constantly writing data to the SD Card or you like to swap out the SD Card files a lot. Mounting it here also frees up your second drive bay, allowing you to install a second floppy drive or even another Hard drive in this spot. Also since actual SE PDS Cards are getting pretty rare these days, it also provides something useful to fill in the empty slot on the back of your case!

With all these benefits, I decided I'd begin the process of modeling out this bracket both for me to use personally in my own SE, but also for anyone else who wanted to install one in their system. I did the modeling in fusion 360, and went through several different design revisions until I eventually settled on the final design at this current point.
finisheddesign.png

I'd also like to thank Tom Barber from the BlueSCSI team for volunteering to help with the 3D printing and prototyping side of things as I don't currently have a 3d printer of my own, so he was a massive help here.

Anyway, at this point I had the 3D Model printed by Tom and sent my way, and it was time to install it into my Macintosh SE!

The installation process went very smoothly and it mounted right into the metal bracket on the back of the case. I'd also have to remove the plastic pop out piece from the case as well. And here's it installed into the SE!
P1000205.JPG

If anyone is interested in possibly using this model in their own Macintosh SE, here's a link to where you can download my 3d printable model for this bracket:

torbar

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
For anyone that's looking at printing this - You'll need supports on the build plate since the bottom of the tray is a bit higher than ground level.

(the SD slot, the holes, and the angled things that hold the bluescsi pcb in seem to print fine without supports)

And then to screw it in to the PDS slot, you can just use standard PC case screws(I think the ones I used were m3.5x6)

displaced

Tinkerer
Nov 2, 2021
Kent, United Kingdom
This looks great! I’ll be getting a BlueSCSI any day now in the post, so will give this a try.

I’m considering fitting an RGB2HDMI to my Mac SE as well, so I’m wondering if I could tweak the design to add a hole for an HDMI socket beside the SD card slot…

CrazyTechReviews

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
For anyone that's looking at printing this - You'll need supports on the build plate since the bottom of the tray is a bit higher than ground level.

(the SD slot, the holes, and the angled things that hold the bluescsi pcb in seem to print fine without supports)

And then to screw it in to the PDS slot, you can just use standard PC case screws(I think the ones I used were m3.5x6)
Thanks so much for putting this information here! Very helpful for anyone looking to print this themselves!

CrazyTechReviews

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
This looks great! I’ll be getting a BlueSCSI any day now in the post, so will give this a try.

I’m considering fitting an RGB2HDMI to my Mac SE as well, so I’m wondering if I could tweak the design to add a hole for an HDMI socket beside the SD card slot…
I'm sure it's possible. I'm not too knowledgeable on the RGB2HDMI device, but I'd assume you'd probably be able to modify the right side of the mounting plate next to the BlueSCSI tray to mount a panel mount HDMI port on it if you wanted too.

Reactions: displaced

CrazyTechReviews

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
@CrazyTechReviews , Would you be willing to cross post that file to Thingiverse? I've found a lot of helpful 3d parts there and it is the first place many people look for 3d models.
Yes, actually I originally planned to upload it there rather than Google Drive. Unfortunately though I forgot my credentials for my Thingiverse account, so I'll have to get back into my account before I can continue with that

Reactions: wottle

dburr

New Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
If anyone is interested in possibly using this model in their own Macintosh SE, here's a link to where you can download my 3d printable model for this bracket:

This is really quite nice! After a few hiccups I managed to get it successfully printed on my corexy printer.

Did you have to use a different scsi cable when installing yours? I am finding it impossible to install this using the short SCSI cable that originally came with my SE/30.

Reactions: CrazyTechReviews

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
This is really quite nice! After a few hiccups I managed to get it successfully printed on my corexy printer.

Did you have to use a different scsi cable when installing yours? I am finding it impossible to install this using the short SCSI cable that originally came with my SE/30.
I used a different, but similar mount and had to order a longer SCSI cable. I don't think there's any way to get the original SCSI cable to reach.

Reactions: CrazyTechReviews

CrazyTechReviews

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021

I actually didn't have any issues with the cable in my Macintosh SE and found it to be long enough to reach, most likely they changed the cable length between the SE and SE/30, or maybe the previous user of your particular unit replaced the cable at some point. Interesting...

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
FYI, seemed like a lot of supports, so I modified the design to allow it to be printed without the need for large amounts of supports. Printed and in use in my SE/30 with no issues. It takes less time to print, and uses a pin in the back corner to hold the card in place, which seemed to work better on my printer.

Attachments

• BlueSCSI_MacSE_PDS_Slot_Bracket_Flat_Base.stl.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: chrisrueckert