New-ish 8088 specific software

Arbystpossum

Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2024
USA
I'm always interested in things that people manage to get the 8088 processor to do. Things that were thought impossible, and then you see that it's possible and it makes you question what these old things are really capable of. "New-old" software its fascinating. I'm sure a lot of people know what these are, but I didn't until someone on Youtube made a video about them, so in case you're lost like I was, here are a few things of interest.

WolfensteinCGA - Wolfenstein 3D in CGA, playable on an 8088. It can still take advantage of your Adlib for sound effects and music, even a Sound Blaster if you want an obscenely crusty audio experience. If you have an EMS board, load times seem to be slightly longer, but gameplay is greatly improved.
wolf3dcga.png

Microweb - A text only web browser for DOS, works on an 8088. I am unsure if it takes advantage of an EMS board. Getting an 8088 Online is a hefty task, but if you're already there, give this a try. It supports black and white VGA and CGA resolutions, text only with mouse support if you have a mouse and driver installed. There are limitations, it does not support HTTPS, so you'll need some kind of script on another computer to translate for you, or a program like WebOne. Helps you keep focused when reading web pages.
microweb.png

8088 Doom - Ever want to run Doom on an 8088? Well now you can, sort of. It's more like a proof on concept than anything, runnable but not playable on an 8088. Unsure if it can take advantage of an EMS board. This port is extremely limited and prone to freezing your computer even before you can start a new game, but it's interesting to see.
doom8088.png

8088 capable DOS software made in the passed 5 years applicable. Everyone knows about Planet X3, but what else is out there? Feel free to share.

Last edited:

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
I just tried microweb, using some of the addresses I found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vintagecomputing/comments/e12i2e

It's hard not being able to download any file, displaying any .txt files and seeing no image but I guess it's cool having anything web at all in DOS, it's been a while since I accessed gopher from a text based msdos client in 1995 before I eventually did all my internet in win95+.