New Remote Desktop Server for Vintage Macs

marciot

Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2021
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share with you a project I have been working on since last year. It is a remote desktop server I wrote from scratch using MacTCP. It was originally an experiment to see whether a Macintosh Plus could be controlled remotely, but has since been expanded to support color on all vintage color Macs!

The first release is now up on github:

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Tried it out and it works great. The color version is a bit slower as you've pointed out. I tried the B&W version on my Performa 550 to see if it was any faster. It appears the B&W version is fixed to the classic screen resolution - entirely understandable.

Reactions: marciot

marciot

Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2021
Tried it out and it works great. The color version is a bit slower as you've pointed out. I tried the B&W version on my Performa 550 to see if it was any faster. It appears the B&W version is fixed to the classic screen resolution - entirely understandable.
The B&W version is locked to 512x342 resolution, but you can set your color Mac to B&W in the monitors Control Panel and then run the “MiniVNC for Color Macs (Pack 0)”. This will essentially use the same compression as the B&W one.

Reactions: Eric's Edge

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
The B&W version is locked to 512x342 resolution, but you can set your color Mac to B&W in the monitors Control Panel and then run the “MiniVNC for Color Macs (Pack 0)”. This will essentially use the same compression as the B&W one.
Ah, thanks. I should have guessed as much.

marciot

Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2021
New release! I've made major strides in generalizing the application, so now one executable should run on both B&W and Color Macs at any resolution. While a dedicated build would theoretically perform a tad better, in testing I was not able to see a difference. This latest version also adds keyboard support and comes with perks for GitHub supporters like a preconfigured RaSCSI disk image.

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
Hi getting this error "Protocol error:bad pixel format: depth32 (8 bpp) colour map. Using your app on g4 lampshade imac, system 9. cheers

marciot

Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2021
Hello,

I wanted to update this thread with a note that I made a pretty major update to MiniVNC. The thing I wanted to focus on in this release was compatibility with clients other than RealVNC. Due to processor limitations, B&W 68000 Macs can only use the older TRLE encoding and still require the RealVNC client, but color Macs now can use Hextile and ZRLE encodings which vastly improve compatibility with other clients. I also added a cursor pseudo-encoding which lets the client draw the cursor locally, and added an option to hide the remote cursor. This improves the perceived responsiveness of the connection. Lastly, I redesigned the UI to use of separate windows which can be shown and hidden independently, and made logging a whole lot more convenient:

Main.PNG
Config.PNG

Logs.PNG

Oh yeah, it also uses a preferences file to store settings between runs. It also allows advanced users to change some more obscure parameters using ResEdit! :D

To try out this release, go here:

https://github.com/marciot/mac-minivnc/releases/tag/v1.1-beta-jan-8-2024

And now for a more technical run down...

I investigated several VNC clients and found two things that were causing MiniVNC to fail with most clients 1) the use of TRLE encoding and 2) the use of indexed colors.

To address these issues, I implemented the Hextile encoding and TrueColor support. This allowed TightVNC, VNCThing, and MacVNC to function. The last VNC client I had access to was Screen Sharing on macOS High Sierra. This one proved to be a bit of a bear. It always failed to get past initial handshaking, so I could never get the connection far even to know what encodings are supported.

Eventually, I found out it always breaks the connection at an early stage of the handshaking and then immediately reconnects. Due to the way MiniVNC handled disconnected clients, I was not restarting fast enough to pick up on the second connect attempt. Once I resolved this, I learned Screen Sharing would only connect if password authentication was enabled. I did not want to implement DES encryption, so I implemented a fake handshake that sends a challenge string and does not check the reply. The upshot of this is that Screen Sharing now asks for a password, but will connect no matter what you type in.

Once I finally was able to get past the handshaking, I learned that Screen Sharing only supported Zlib and ZRLE encodings. I wasn't sure about how successfully older Macs could run ZLib, but I decided to find the smallest implementation of Zlib I could find and try that. I settled on a library called MiniZ and implemented a new ZRLE protocol. It is very similar to the old TRLE encoding but uses larger tiles and compresses the stream with ZLib. Getting that to work meant that I could now connect using Screen Sharing on macOS!

• Love
Reactions: Patrick

marciot

Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2021
Hi getting this error "Protocol error:bad pixel format: depth32 (8 bpp) colour map. Using your app on g4 lampshade imac, system 9. cheers
It only took me two years to reply, but I think this problem has been resolved in V1.1. Many clients fail when sent indexed colors, which was all the original MiniVNC supported. I believe V1.1 goes a long way towards addressing that problem.

Reactions: fred1212 and eric