New Toy: Dell Latitude D630 (Windows 7 Pro)

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Northeastern New Jersey, USA
I picked this machine up at the Trenton Computer Festival (New Jersey) for $25. The price was too tempting to ignore. it's in surprisingly good shape. I'm mostly a Mac person, but I have nothing against Windows. I don't care what the system is, as long as it gets the work done. In 2010, I bought an Asus netbook that runs Windows 7 Starter. I'll mostly do writing on it-I installed MS Office 2013 (?) on it. I just need to figure out what some of the ports are-some I know, others I don't. I'm curious about the bottom port...

Saul

Dell Latitude 630.jpg Dell 1.jpg Dell 2.jpeg Dell 3.jpeg Dell 5.jpg Dell 6.jpg

Last edited:

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
Bottom port is for D series docking stations. The docking stations were great if you needed to move your laptop often between stations with local monitors and keyboards. It can also provide serial and parallel ports, which can be handy if you want to drive an old chip programmer, for example. Or multiple monitor outputs. That last might be on the E series. I sometimes get them confused.

I have four D430s. One of them is still running XP and I use it to drive my old Needham EMP-30 chip programmer, with a parallel port equipped docking station.

The back of your laptop is from left to right, ethernet, modem, 2 X USB, serial port, video out, and power in.

No tiny square port anywhere? My D430s have a micro FireWire Port on the back.

sd.php

Reactions: phunguss and 2112st

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Bottom port is for D series docking stations. The docking stations were great if you needed to move your laptop often between stations with local monitors and keyboards. It can also provide serial and parallel ports, which can be handy if you want to drive an old chip programmer, for example. Or multiple monitor outputs. That last might be on the E series. I sometimes get them confused.

I have four D430s. One of them is still running XP and I use it to drive my old Needham EMP-30 chip programmer, with a parallel port equipped docking station.

The back of your laptop is from left to right, ethernet, modem, 2 X USB, serial port, video out, and power in.

No tiny square port anywhere? My D430s have a micro FireWire Port on the back.

sd.php
D’oh! I guess I forgot to take this picture…
IMG_7596.jpeg

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
The maximum is 8 gigs of RAM, aye? Cool. Looks like it's time to expand the RAM, as I know that Windows is a memory hog. Windows 7 Starter on my Asus netbook was rock solid. I assume this 64-bit Pro version will be too. :cool:

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
The maximum is 8 gigs of RAM, aye? Cool. Looks like it's time to expand the RAM, as I know that Windows is a memory hog. Windows 7 Starter on my Asus netbook was rock solid. I assume this 64-bit Pro version will be too. :cool:
8GB of DDR2 RAM is extremely expensive and W7 doesn't need it by any means to run well - 4GB is PLENTY. This is due to the fact that a 4GB DDR2 module is like $30, while 2x 2GB modules are WAY cheaper. 8GB is pretty much never worth it on a DDR2 system. W7 runs fine even on 2GB of RAM.

• Wow
Reactions: 2112st

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
8GB of DDR2 RAM is extremely expensive and W7 doesn't need it by any means to run well - 4GB is PLENTY. This is due to the fact that a 4GB DDR2 module is like $30, while 2x 2GB modules are WAY cheaper. 8GB is pretty much never worth it on a DDR2 system. W7 runs fine even on 2GB of RAM.
I have an earlier version of Photoshop that I MIGHT put on it, though I would use it mostly for viewing pics. The primary function of this machine will be to write fiction and poetry.

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
No specific cause, just a thing that happens sometimes with trackpoints. To be clear: The issue is that the mouse cursor drifts to the right?
Try using the trackpoint stick and see how it behaves.

Yes, that is exactly the issue. This is the first time I've had a computer with a trackpoint stick. Like I said, this Dell is in surprisingly good shape. Getting it for only $25 seems like a bargain to me! :)

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
No specific cause, just a thing that happens sometimes with trackpoints. To be clear: The issue is that the mouse cursor drifts to the right?
Try using the trackpoint stick and see how it behaves.
Crap. Using the trackpoint nub didn't help. I was in the middle of editing and the cursor drifts off to the right. Every time I put the cursor back to where I wanted to type, it would fly off to the right. :(

I did look into replacing the keyboard, and it's really easy. Hopefully, I won't have to go that route.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
this is taking me back. about a decade ago i used to be helpdesk support for a small office. and this is exactly the laptop and model i would support.

The docks could be a bit funky. i don't think they like being hotswaped.

Reactions: 2112st