Odd audio issue on Portable (M5120)

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
My Portable chimes when it boots, and the Sound control panel does all the right things in terms of outputting audio. However every application I run that has sound (ok, mostly games!) are utterly silent. It's not just one game.. it's every one I try. I can quit whatever game it is, go to Sound control panel and everything seems fine, but ultimately I can't get anything other than the system to make a sound...

The machine has been recapped, and during that process the only track issue visible was one I created (and fixed)...

Thoughts?

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Because the 5126 Portable I purchased was from a US-based seller, I decided to pay Thomas Andrews (Amiga of Rochester) to recap my machine and do trace repairs. Audio worked fine when I received the machine, but it does have noise issues described here.

What I can tell you is that during my investigation of what might possibly be causing the noise issues (no, I've never solved that), I saw all the traces in the audio section which Thomas Repaired. He did a lot of work in that area. There was more than one broken trace. All broken traces were broken underneath the capacitors in that section, and Thomas ran bodge wires on the solder side of the board to fix the breaks.

So in light of that, my guess is you have another break somewhere, which could be a Via that has been eaten through. Sadly, that means making time to trace the traces using the 5120 schematics.

I would also advise making two high quality photos of the Audio section of your motherboard, component side and solder side, just so everyone can see for themselves what that area looks like. But if your board is anything like mine, you probably have another break in that area.

Reactions: pocketscience

ClassicHasClass

Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
www.floodgap.com
I had something similar happen with my Portable, even after a professionally done recap and inspection (you can hear it, it's just very quiet). However, being a prototype, it's entirely possible there's some other problem with it.