Palm m515 / BlackBerry Curve 8520 - mid to late 2000s productivity!

haydonbeagley

Tinkerer
Nov 9, 2021
United Kingdom
www.youtube.com
Hello all,

Long time no post/upload - but thought I'd share some mid to late 2000s productivity!

Firstly a Palm m515 PDA (bought for all of £4 - sadly I've got no idea if it works or even does anything as sadly it didn't come with cables.

And secondly a BlackBerry Curve 8520! I remember seeing these in High School and only the cool kids/well off kids had one - I was rocking an old school Nokia (maybe some LG slider). The BlackBerry boots and runs however it's got carrier branding from Vodafone (yuck!) and the camera won't open/launch so I suspect it's dying slowly!

Either way its rather cool to finally own such out of reach technology even if it's about 10+ years late!

Bonus points if anyone has the means/know how to fix this dynamic duos troubles!

Attachments

• IMG_7355.jpg
    IMG_7355.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: dronecatcher

dronecatcher

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
That's awesome! Do love a bit of 68K News! Just need to find a charging cradle/dock for the Palm so I can fire it up! As currently it's a shiny paperweight!
Thanks.
Yes, that's a problem I had for so long - bought a M500 and M505 separately for peanuts but a new battery and charger/cradle cost four times as much!
I have a SD card camera for them them too but haven't used it much yet.
Best bet is set up an ebay search and be patient ;)

Reactions: haydonbeagley

haydonbeagley

Tinkerer
Nov 9, 2021
United Kingdom
www.youtube.com
Thanks.
Yes, that's a problem I had for so long - bought a M500 and M505 separately for peanuts but a new battery and charger/cradle cost four times as much!
Best bet is set up an ebay search and be patient ;)
If I get anymore saved searches on eBay they are going to start charging me :ROFLMAO: car-boot season has started so never know what I can pick up there!

Reactions: dronecatcher

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
SD Card Camera, details please! I went with the Handspring Visor for its long awaited expansion slot. Eyemodule 2 color digicam walked out of the store with me and the Visor that day.

Got one shot of the smoke pall running across the sky down Broadway from Lispenard St. on 9/11 with it by accident. Never had a thought to take any others. Was worried about the rug rat getting out of Stuyvesant H.S. across town and getting him home that day.

Got a lot of others with it for documenting jobs and posting stuff online at MLA and 'fritter though. When did camera modules shrink down to SD card form factor? This I gotta see!

dronecatcher

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
There you go. The thing on the right is it's travel case :)

I had a Visor and the Eyemodule at some point too, along with the MP3 cartridge too :)

SD_Cam.jpg

dronecatcher

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
Sweet, what's the resolution and how do the pics compare to the eyemodule2?

I'll have to hunt down the pic of my WA setup for eyemodule2.
VGA at maximum - can't remember how they compare to the Eyemodule - I do know it's a pain to use, it has a manual focus that in theory sounds great but the image quality on the Palm makes it difficult to use.

I need to use it again and give it a good shake down :)

dronecatcher

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
Well I gave the Veo SD camera a go. First complaint, could only install the driver/app with a full installation on PC - not Mac compatible.

Second problem is the Palm M505 screen is so dull any focusing and composition is guess work but when it's correct, the quality is what you'd expect from that era but nowhere approching dedicated VGA cameras like the Sony Mavica.

Wayn_070922_005.JPG

Wayn_070922_006.JPG