Phillips Discoverer 14S11B Overhaul

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
The Philips discoverer was created in an international competition to celebrate the first Nasa shuttle launch. It remains a notable emblem of technological advancement in its era. With its sleek design inspired by Nasa's helmets and innovative features, the 14S11B model captured the imagination of consumers worldwide. Boasting a 14-inch screen and cutting-edge colour display technology, it offered viewers a captivating visual experience unmatched by its predecessors, even with the visor down!

image-asset.jpg

Despite its age, the Phillips Discoverer 14S11B continues to hold a special place in the hearts of enthusiasts, if you can find one count yourself lucky as going rates on eBay and auction sites garner over $2k, a ridiculous amount for a television but I could understand some folks retain these for the design alone.

I had been searching over seas for some certain brands/models of tv set when I came across a "junk" Discoverer for $140 cad, I was hesitant considering the size of the set would demand a few hundred to ship but I wasn't about to let reason ruin my fun!

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 7.34.45 AM.png

Surface shipping from Japan was only $180 and the tv set was packed in a box the size of a deep freezer.

PXL_20231128_191452650.jpg

To my surprise the tv set passed the smoke test and proved to still be alive! oh what joy.

PXL_20231128_192655353.jpg

Time for disassembly and cleaning of the exterior casing/visor, all in good shape and only missing the original remote and rabbit ear style antenae.

PXL_20231129_045836079.jpg

I had a glorious 2 months of use playing some occasional dreamcast, Super Famicom and TNG reruns before the analog board lost all high voltage, I did some troubleshooting over a couple of weekends but was unable to easily diagnose the fault.

PXL_20231203_050622202.jpg

Aliexpress has various replacement analog boards for the 14-20+ size CRT set new, production dates in 2023. The components would suggest compatibility with Phillips sets so I was willing to gamble the $70 cad to bring my Discoverer back to life!

20240402_155524_HDR.jpg

Installation was easy, even without having to reference the schematics it was straight forward to pair the horizontal and vertical deflection, degauss and speaker.

20240402_164342_HDR.jpg

I was honestly amazed that right out of the box this worked and the new board provided an excellent result! I loaded 240p test suite over component input and got to work adjusting the geometry, colour and start considering how to install everything while keeping the set looking original.

20240403_170410_HDR.jpg

To retain the original buttons at the front I took the advice from @techknight and relieved the original board of that section of PCB, I cut all the traces going to/from the buttons as not to increase resistances and confuse the onboard logic. The analog board kit provides an IR receiver and button board which I patched directly into the original.

20240403_203826_HDR.jpg

After using a bit of epoxy to hold the button panel in place it was a pleasant DISCOVERER-Y that the included mounting bracket fit exactly into the sliding PCB channels. This was meant to be!

20240406_175235_HDR.jpg

The only visible alteration to the set was the rear input panel, since this is a mono speaker set there was only two rca jacks, I had to cut this section to accommodate the third. I could have taken the time to 3d print another IO panel but I will never look back here too often (the white wire seen at the panel is about 1ft long and easily allows separating the two halves for service/cleaning without having to disconnect).

20240406_175239_HDR.jpg

After a little extra detailing I fired up the Super Famicom for some Demons Crest, The picture quality is great and I couldn't be happier with the results.
I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!

20240406_180743_HDR.jpg

Thank Satan that's over! now it can go back on the shelf until it decides to break again.

Last edited: