Pip pip pip!?

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I found this little bugger for $20 cad and genuinely thought it may be interesting to see if "Apple Jack" can translate to ADB and perhaps use this boomerang as a Macintosh gamepad.
Now if you'll excuse me I'll be waiting patiently for the $20 Pippin console to match! (Dream on eh?)

Screenshot_20211120-121342_Buyee.jpg

sfiera

New Tinkerer
Nov 16, 2021
Two answers for you:

First, yes. The communication protocol used by Pippin controllers is just ADB with different connectors. To connect a Pippin controller to ADB, all you need is a passive converter to connect the right three pins.

Second, I think what you’ve bought there is not a Pippin controller, but a Atmark Controller for Macintosh. Check the second picture more closely; that’s a round ADB plug, not the wide AppleJack plug. These were sold for use on a Mac, and included a floppy with key reassignment software.

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Two answers for you:

First, yes. The communication protocol used by Pippin controllers is just ADB with different connectors. To connect a Pippin controller to ADB, all you need is a passive converter to connect the right three pins.

Second, I think what you’ve bought there is not a Pippin controller, but a Atmark Controller for Macintosh. Check the second picture more closely; that’s a round ADB plug, not the wide AppleJack plug. These were sold for use on a Mac, and included a floppy with key reassignment software.
Shut the front door! That's very interesting, I hadn't any clue they were also available for Macintosh computers. I only assumed it was a Pippin controller given the embossed "PIPPIN" logo and shape. I'll have to gander for that software, could be a very fun new toy!

Flappy Mac high scores incoming!

• Haha
Reactions: eric

sfiera

New Tinkerer
Nov 16, 2021
I mean, it still is a Pippin controller, but you’d need the a reverse adaptor to actually use it with a Pippin. The branding is confusing; I think “Atmark” basically means that it’s a Bandai product.