Please Help Screws Broke Off, Paint Match Help too!

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Hello everyone I have a machine that has had the screws break off and they are now stuck in the machine. This is a result of some leakage, I'm trying to find a better solution to removing the screws without damaging the Aluminum in my III. Also because the leak also damaged the paint it peeled away on the III is there any paint that matches as I will likely repaint the machine as close as possible to its weird Gun Metalish Brown. I will also need to track down a replacement speaker and battery pack (was a 3 pack holding 3 AA Batteries). Any help is greatly appreciated.

lobust

Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
The screws are broken off in aluminium? I am not familiar with the III...

There is a chemical method to dissolve ferrous metals in aluminium if so.

lobust

Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
Yeah darn rodents corroded the heck out of the screws and the heads snapped right off

You can google for details, but the summary is you submerge your aluminium (or other non-ferrous metal/metal alloy) component in a solution of alum and heat it. The reaction is slow without an accelerator, but any ferrous metal attached to the aluminium will be dissolved.

I have done this in the past to recover valuable work pieces with broken tools in them. Sometimes it can leave a deposit on the surface of the part you are trying to save. It looks like staining but it is a deposit on the surface that is easily removed by mild abrasives.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
So this is an example of the damage times about 10

tempImageTtwY4X.jpg
tempImageauleZj.jpg

lobust

Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
I can't tell from the photos if those are machine screws or self tapping screws, although it makes little difference in reality.

Those are not coming out by any mechanical means - any attempt will tear the threads out or otherwise damage the chassis. There's a high likelihood that the threads are not salvageable in any case, but there are repair options for that too.

Removal options (in order of least likely to most likely to destroy existing threads):

1. Try the alum solution method first as it's easy, inexpensive, and poses no significant risk of damage to the aluminium.
2. Take it to a machineshop and have them spark erode the screws.
3. If you have a milling machine or a good drill press, drill out the screws.

Options 1 and 2 might, while option 3 absolutely will, require recovery of the holes by installing repair inserts like helicoils, tricerts, keenserts etc.

Reactions: retr01

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
I can't tell from the photos if those are machine screws or self tapping screws, although it makes little difference in reality.

Those are not coming out by any mechanical means - any attempt will tear the threads out or otherwise damage the chassis. There's a high likelihood that the threads are not salvageable in any case, but there are repair options for that too.

Removal options (in order of least likely to most likely to destroy existing threads):

1. Try the alum solution method first as it's easy, inexpensive, and poses no significant risk of damage to the aluminium.
2. Take it to a machineshop and have them spark erode the screws.
3. If you have a milling machine or a good drill press, drill out the screws.

Options 1 and 2 might, while option 3 absolutely will, require recovery of the holes by installing repair inserts like helicoils, tricerts, keenserts etc.
I think I’m gonna reach out to a machine shop and see how that goes.