Post your desk!

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
We've all got messy desks, with our tinkering hobbies - post a picture of yours!

I'll go first...it's a tad...messy 😂

DSC_1308.jpeg

rikerjoe

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
I do my work outside both for marital bliss as well as living in a climate that (mostly) supports outdoor activities year round. Note the tub to the lower right where I store my equipment, with another tub not shown in the garage with my donor boards and parts.

Attachments

• 91F48099-3DB3-467F-9EDF-A9389BED7E5A.jpeg
    91F48099-3DB3-467F-9EDF-A9389BED7E5A.jpeg
    990 KB · Views: 94

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Not shown: //e and Mac IIci. No room for them. Cables between the Centris/Quadra 650 (Centris 650, rebadged as a Quadra - have the correct processor, ready to go into the computer, tho) and the G3 are video cables, plus power and the SCSI cable for the CD-R drive I used to install 7.5.3 on said 650 last night. Next to the Mac Plus on the Sony receiver/CD player stack are a Nikomat FTn film camera and a motorized Nikon F film camera with their respective lenses. To the right, next to the table, is a 1979 vintage Econolite 12-8-8-12 signal head (only the spanwire hanger and the red/yellow sections are visible in the pic).

Attachments

• IMG_6924.JPG
    IMG_6924.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 77

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
My desk is remarkably tidy at this very moment, so I decided to hurry up and take a picture so I can remember what it CAN look like...
Gear down big rig, we got a convoy!
Do you radio?

Reactions: pfuentes69

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Is this attached to a recording studio? I see what looks like the back of a mixing board tucked away on the left and a standup piano tucked away on the right. This space definitely makes me a little jealous. Very well done! 🍻

Well, I was actually drooling over Drake's big air craft carrier of a *clean* desk and Alf's tower of ham too. That desk is reminiscent of my Dads ham shack - all the way down to the omnipresent soldering iron. Looking at Luminescentsimian's desk pic consumed me with this compulsive urge for cable management layered between the indiscriminate abuse of IPA and windex. :D

Last edited:

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
Is this attached to a recording studio? I see what looks like the back of a mixing board tucked away on the left and a standup piano tucked away on the right. This space definitely makes me a little jealous. Very well done! 🍻

Well, I was actually drooling over Drake's big air craft carrier of a *clean* desk and Alf's tower of ham too. That desk is reminiscent of my Dads ham shack - all the way down to the omnipresent soldering iron. Looking at Luminescentsimian's desk pic consumed me with this compulsive urge for cable management layered between the indiscriminate abuse of IPA and windex. :D
Thank you. Actually my musician career is suspended, many of my home studio equipments are stored in boxes and wardrobes (bottom right corner wardrobe: 7 Guitars, stands, effects, etc) behind is one shelf, my cube amps on/in. And yes, what you spotted is a full analog mixing board. Crazy robust: it is around 35kg. Bloody heavy together with its road tour aluminium container.
...and yes for the cable management problem too, it is a huuuge problem for me too. I have lots of, lots of things on my desks and between dust collecting. One time a year a take everything off from the tables and clean one by one everything from the dust. Then everything looks like in the army... :cool:

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
View attachment 3201

One of my desks in the office. Made from two old pallets.
I built a compost corral out of old plank pallets and door hinges. Worked like a charm for composting last years leaves into this years mulchy deliciousness. I hadn't considered using pallets as table tops though. Might consider that if I need to expand work space in the garage. What did you use for legs?

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Thank you. Actually my musician career is suspended, many of my home studio equipments are stored in boxes and wardrobes (bottom right corner wardrobe: 7 Guitars, stands, effects, etc) behind is one shelf, my cube amps on/in. And yes, what you spotted is a full analog mixing board. Crazy robust: it is around 35kg. Bloody heavy together with its road tour aluminium container.
...and yes for the cable management problem too, it is a huuuge problem for me too. I have lots of, lots of things on my desks and between dust collecting. One time a year a take everything off from the tables and clean one by one everything from the dust. Then everything looks like in the army... :cool:
Very cool. I completely understand. My musical existence has effectively been on hold for the past 5 years as kiddos arrived & family took presidence. I too have gear squirreled away in all sorts of places through the house but primarily my office, den, and garage. Most of my instruments are inside however hanging on my walls. I do have a modest amount of aging home recording gear spread between my office and the garage as well, but again, just can't seem to find the time to put it all back together right now - hoping my kiddos as they get older will find all this old postrock-dad gear interesting. Anyhoo, what studio monitors were you using when you had your recording setup together? I was using some KRK rockit 8s (still have em along with a few other sets).

Last edited:

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
A bit early for Throwback Thursday, but, here's a really poor scan of a Kodachrome slide taken of my room at our old house in 1991...

Computer was one of the Apple IIgs "Stealth GS" upgrade kit machines with ADB mouse, Apple 3.5 Drive, disk ][ drive, monitor ///, numeric keypad //e, CH Products FlightStick, and Epson MX-80F/T printer. Desk was built out of four pieces of plywood made into two "V" shaped legs, a particle board top, all painted white. Was sturdy, but, didn't provide any off-center workspace. Used the desk for another year, before it was replaced by a white "Scanbirk" desk, which was nice in that it did provide extra space, but, at the same time, was not very sturdy. Later on, switched to our former kitchen table, and finally to a table that my sister had at her old apartment when she was at the University of Washington.