Power Mac G3

Redsward

New Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2023
Hi all ,
I came into a couple of ‘ not working. For parts ‘ power mac G3’s (blue and white. )

Any suggestions on resources I can read to get to grips with issues .

I’m comfortable with component level repair, just not sure where to start with these!

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Well, we have a pretty good resource section here, but also, just ask questions here!

We also have a very active discord server that can help.

Might be worth posting what you have, along with pictures as a starting point :)

Reactions: Redsward

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Most common issues with these are PSU and analog board related. The flyback transformer is a common failure in all revisions as far as I know, and bad caps on both boards are known to happen as well.
In a B&W G3?

flag4

New Tinkerer
Mar 30, 2023
I have one of those sitting in the attic, the power mac, not the imac . . ;)

From my limited experience, it's the usual suspects . . PSU and leaky caps.
If it has an airport card, they usually crap out too.

flag4

New Tinkerer
Mar 30, 2023
I just checked my spare G4 boards, they have electrolytic caps. I could go check the G3 in the attic but I'm too lazy right now! ;)

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Before anything I would plug em in and see if a cuda reset will bring them back to life. My B&W on occasion has shown absolutely no life after fiddling with its bits - that behavior included non-functioning power button. It presents like a completely dead box/psu, so if you dont know, its easy to assume the box is dead. Anyhow, reset the CUDA and the machine comes back to life, so give that a try. Here’s a pic of a rev2 logicboard for @flag4 .

568A7506-9ABA-4C36-8AB0-E2AC437E5084.jpeg

The cuda is behind the cpu heatsink and will be the button on the left. The button on the right is the power button. The difference between Rev 1 & 2 logicboards is found in the corner of the lobos CMD chip which is hidden under the PCI slots. Rev1 is PCI646U2 and Rev2 is 646U2-402.

Last edited: