PowerBook 100 Restoration video

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Hey folks! I just finished up and posted a video detailing my recent restoration of a PowerBook 100 laptop. Let me know what you think!

I also did a similar video a few months back on the PowerBook 145, so here's a link to that if you're interested:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kai Robinson

AvadonDragon

Tinkerer
Jan 27, 2023
Tennessee
Love the videos. Also, NICE laptop collection!

My own cap removal methods have evolved over the years from having no guidance and struggling with a single crappy soldering iron, to using the twist off method, using two GOOD irons, using hot air, then finally setting on hot tweezers as my personal favorite tool for the job. If cap goo has already started to rot your traces and the board you're working on is in very fragile condition the twist off method can still pull pads off the board even if you are extremely careful.

If you only have one soldering iron - the absolute safest way I found was to destroy the caps by cutting them off the board with a pair of side cutters then desolder the individual leads. I haven't seen anyone propose that method (at least not recently) so I thought I'd share.

Reactions: 3lectr1c