PowerBook 165 restoration: Tips for getting started?

gfuller

New Tinkerer
I used https://printathing.com/ when I got a 3D-printed hinge support made for my 170. I used an STI file from thingiverse (actually https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4391026) at about $9 apiece, plus postage, in ABS. It was reasonably quick service too.
Sorry for the delayed response. This helps a ton! I've never 3D printed anything before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what "configuration" should I go with for the hinge supports? Is the default FFF technology with 17% infill, > 0.2 mm layer thickness in gray ABS OK? Or should I increase the infill to 100%?

They come apart easily enough, but I personally haven't had the need to refurbish any... perhaps I should? I haven't personally experienced any gummy lubricant or eject issues, and the flap on the front tends to keep anything nasty out.
I think I'll pass on servicing the floppy drive ... for now. I agree, the flap probably helps prevent a lot of issues found on always exposed drives such as those found on the desktops.

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
Sorry for the delayed response. This helps a ton! I've never 3D printed anything before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what "configuration" should I go with for the hinge supports? Is the default FFF technology with 17% infill, > 0.2 mm layer thickness in gray ABS OK? Or should I increase the infill to 100%?
I'd never done 3D printing either, so I didn't know and left it all as default. Then discovered that infill is the density of the print - so it should be 100% otherwise you get a skeleton!

I left everything else as default (except selecting ABS) and the result looks fine... though I haven't yet tried to use one in a repair.

Reactions: gfuller

gfuller

New Tinkerer
I finally got the LCD and inverter board removed from the PowerBook. It actually came apart easier than I was expecting, thankfully.

I was told I shouldn't need the inverter board recapped since it uses polymer caps. So is the LCD the only thing I really need to send off to be recapped? I'll be ordering a new wall wart/power supply, probably one of the cheap generic ones @3lectr1c linked in his post.

IMG_6243.jpg
IMG_6248.jpg
IMG_6252.jpg

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
The green cap on the inverter is electrolytic, it’s only the purple ones that aren’t. Still, I haven’t yet replaced it on mine. I should do that. They’re not a must-do, but you should still do them if you can.