PowerBook G4 12in not updating to 10.4.11

THIRSTYLOTUS

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
I recently picked up a PowerBook G4 that had a dead HDD. I replaced it with a msata drive and installed 10.4.6 Tiger on it. Everything seemed to work fine until I updated it to 10.4.11. It tries to boot but never makes it to the desktop. Any work around to get 10.4.11 to install?
Thank you

MacMaster

New Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
Have any other RAM to try? I had all sorts of problems with installing/updating to 10.4.11 on my 15 inch G4 until I narrowed it down to a bad Crucial memory stick. I think the 12's only have one memory slot along with built-in memory. So if you have a stick installed it may be worth trying without it to see if that is the cause.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Huh, that's weird. I have 10.4.11 and 10.5.8 installed without issue on my 12". I wonder if Tiger updates to 10.4.11 fine on the spinner. Naturally, as the SSD is new, I'd suspect that. Kind of a pain to take it back out though.

Assuming wonky ram is not the culprit, TDM from another FW mac? You could erase, format and restore a functioning tiger image to the pb12" SSD. I use a macmini g4 for this purpose often (other than that, it holds my books up :D ). Works like a charm.

Last edited:

THIRSTYLOTUS

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
I Still have no idea why it kept breaking on install of the update. But I ended up getting the laptop working using TDM and dd. I took my G4 MDD's SSD and stuck it into my main Linux computer. Ran dd to make an image of it. Then ran dd again, this time the output file was the laptop in TDM connected through a cheep FireWire 400 pcie 1x card. It took about 4h or so (120GiB SSD) but now I have 10.4.11 and OS9 classic all working and all setup from the other computer.