PowerMac 6500 PCI graphics card options? (Feeling overwhelmed)

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I just purchased a Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB PCI card on ebay for pretty cheap. Going to order the ROM chip on mouser and hope for the best. I'm assuming I can just throw the card in my current PC's PCIe slot and flash it from there?
Has to be a regular pci slot, not pci-e. But yes, you should be able to, easiest via booting to freedos or the like.

ouroboros

New Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2022
Has to be a regular pci slot, not pci-e. But yes, you should be able to, easiest via booting to freedos or the like.
That makes sense. Thanks! I just got an older windows 98/XP machine that has 3 pci slots…guess I’ll need to fix that up sooner than anticipated.

Stinkerton18

Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
I just purchased a Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB PCI card on ebay for pretty cheap. Going to order the ROM chip on mouser and hope for the best. I'm assuming I can just throw the card in my current PC's PCIe slot and flash it from there?
After you've replaced the ROM chip on the card, aflash should work to flash the rom file to it. If not you'll need an EEPROM programmer.

ouroboros

New Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2022
I found another 6500 with a l2 G3 sonnet card in it for an amazing deal. I’m now pondering if I should use this as a takky CC upgrade….

edit : thinking about it some more. If I can somehow override the rage II and use the vga of the Radeon with the l2 g3. A color classic of that caliber woiled be something special. I think I might retire this thread and create a new thread in the projects category.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Patrick

ClassicHasClass

Tinkerer
Aug 30, 2022
www.floodgap.com
I have a /275 and a TAM, though the 275 has a Twin Turbo card for video and the TAM doesn't have any cards installed (just CSII Ethernet), so I guess it will be worth observing them to see.

phlogios

New Tinkerer
Jun 30, 2022
I have a /275 and a TAM, though the 275 has a Twin Turbo card for video and the TAM doesn't have any cards installed (just CSII Ethernet), so I guess it will be worth observing them to see.
The test is try Quake RAVE or GLQuake for longer than 2 minutes. I expect the 275 to succeed with an ATI card, the TAM will freeze within 2 minutes.