PowerMac G4 MDD Power Supply

Duke09

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
I've been trying to repair my G4 MDD power supply for awhile now and not sure what exactly to replace on it. I've replaced all the caps except for the 3 big 450v ones. I know that the mosfets also should probably be replaced (presumably the ones on the heat sinks). Not sure if anything else would need to be replaced. Id much rather restore this power supply rather than ATX mod one so I can have ADC support. Any help would be appreciated.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
It can be a lot of things. You need to narrow down where the failure is whether it’s the primary or secondary and which rail(s). I recently repaired a PSU which turned out to have a bad optoisolator. It seemed to test fine out of circuit but replacing it did the trick anyway. There are a lot of videos about SMPS repair on YouTube and I recently came across this PDF which was helpful. Good luck! https://electrohosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/smpsrepairebook.pdf

davidg5678

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
It can be a lot of things. You need to narrow down where the failure is whether it’s the primary or secondary and which rail(s). I recently repaired a PSU which turned out to have a bad optoisolator. It seemed to test fine out of circuit but replacing it did the trick anyway. There are a lot of videos about SMPS repair on YouTube and I recently came across this PDF which was helpful. Good luck! https://electrohosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/smpsrepairebook.pdf
What a great resource! I have a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver with a dead PSU that I've been meaning to repair for years. I read through much of this guide, and I think that I have a better understanding of what to do now. I'll have to finish reading this and see if I can find the fault in my PSU now. I still need to read the safety section before trying anything. :)

My PSU has a problem where it blinks on and off but it never starts up all the way. @Duke09 what are the symptoms of your broken Power Supply?

Duke09

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
What a great resource! I have a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver with a dead PSU that I've been meaning to repair for years. I read through much of this guide, and I think that I have a better understanding of what to do now. I'll have to finish reading this and see if I can find the fault in my PSU now. I still need to read the safety section before trying anything. :)

My PSU has a problem where it blinks on and off but it never starts up all the way. @Duke09 what are the symptoms of your broken Power Supply?
Before the power LED would turn on for a second and the fans and then turn off. After the recap it does nothing now. I checked some of the mosfets and all the pins are shorted so that’s probably why.

Jeff

New Tinkerer
Nov 19, 2022
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but for future users I wanted to point out that on eBay exist power supply converter cables for various G4s and MDD included.

speakers

Tinkerer
Nov 5, 2021
San Jose, CA
peak-weber.net
I repaired the API1PC36 REV:A PSU on my MDD a couple of years ago. There's a number of useful threads on badcaps.net and the best for me was:
In my case, the culprit was one of the smaller electrolytics on the hot side. But I first had to replace all the secondary filter caps termed the "shotgun 12 caps" though all of these measured fine after replacement.