Practicing desoldering larger chips - MBP 17" 2.33

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
I had a defective motherboard laying around that I figured would be perfect for practicing desoldering larger chips, processors etc. with my new hot air desoldering station. I got one of these stations:

which is sold under a myriad of different names. 700W... a little too little and I sort of kind of maybe regret a little bit that I went for that one. Though it became a little more capable when I calibrated the snot out of it. Everything is turned up to 11...

Anyway, I managed to try it out a little
12 - 1.jpeg

12 - 2.jpeg

12 - 4.jpeg
12 - 5.jpeg

12 - 7.jpeg

12 - 6.jpeg

Cleaned up pretty nice after all. Pretty happy with that, for a practice run. I didn't do this to fix the board, just to get some practice in. The chips will not go back on, I think :D

Attachments

• 12 - 2.jpeg
    12 - 2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Nicely done :)

I still have my old Atten 858D+ (The original station those are all clones of) and use it daily, I actually prefer to use it over my ~£550 Hakko station it heats up so much more quickly and 99% of the time 700W is ample (Also it is ~10 years old and is still on it's original heating element, the Hakko blew it's element after ~2 Years which cost me £90 to replace....)

One ting I will say is if your going to solder large chips on something your actually repairing I would get a preheater as those large chips like to popcorn if you use too much heat on them

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
Nicely done :)

I still have my old Atten 858D+ (The original station those are all clones of) and use it daily, I actually prefer to use it over my ~£550 Hakko station it heats up so much more quickly and 99% of the time 700W is ample (Also it is ~10 years old and is still on it's original heating element, the Hakko blew it's element after ~2 Years which cost me £90 to replace....)

One ting I will say is if your going to solder large chips on something your actually repairing I would get a preheater as those large chips like to popcorn if you use too much heat on them
I have had that happen already, as the novice I am with these things... what kind of preheating is preferred? Easy Bake? Weber barbecues? :)

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I have had that happen already, as the novice I am with these things... what kind of preheating is preferred? Easy Bake? Weber barbecues? :)
Haha :) Funny thing is I actually started with a electric griddle as my first preheater!
On a more serious note, the T-8280 (originally made by Puhui, but cheaper clones are now available) is very popular amongst hobbyists, I have one and it preforms very well