Problem with IIci and NuBus cards (Solved!)

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
You say it doesn't work on your IIci, can you please elaborate on that? There are so many different factors that could result in the card not working, and a lot of them are software based.

For example, does it have link lights? If so, do they light up when you connect it to your network? what sort of card is it?

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
You say it doesn't work on your IIci, can you please elaborate on that? There are so many different factors that could result in the card not working, and a lot of them are software based.

For example, does it have link lights? If so, do they light up when you connect it to your network? what sort of card is it?
The card lights the link led, but is not detected by the System, so initially I thought it would be a software issue. I tried to install some drivers ("Apple Network Installer" is the only thing I could find) and I got no result.

Then I tried the same card in a IIsi, using the same BlueSCSI and SD Card, and it worked at first attempt. As the System and config is exactly the same, I'm thinking now in an issue with the NuBus ports in the IIci... That Reddit post was giving the hint... The IC that acts as bus driver (74ALS240) seems to be just a bit corroded by the nearby Cap that was replaced, but maybe is worse that it seems...

Edit: this post was placed after I started this other: https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/drivers-for-apple-ethernet-nubus-card-820-0417-c.316/

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
I got today another NuBus Card (the Macintosh Display Card 8•24) and I also get it working in the IIsi but not in the Iici, so definitely there's an issue.
I ordered the 74ALS240 and let's see if it solves the issue...

Reactions: Branchus
Now that's a very interesting topic. I've experienced the same issue with my IIci. I got a card from @fogWraith and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to work. Tried the official drivers, tried Glenn Anderson's drivers, various Open Transport versions, different slots etc. etc.

I came to the conclusion that the Nubus ports on my (recapped) IIci board were either dead or the card was bad. I couldn't confirm neither, so I eventually gave up. It's interesting you're experiencing the same issue.

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Now that's a very interesting topic. I've experienced the same issue with my IIci. I got a card from @fogWraith and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to work. Tried the official drivers, tried Glenn Anderson's drivers, various Open Transport versions, different slots etc. etc.

I came to the conclusion that the Nubus ports on my (recapped) IIci board were either dead or the card was bad. I couldn't confirm neither, so I eventually gave up. It's interesting you're experiencing the same issue.
I think my chips will arrive this week, so I'll post here the result.

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
So I got the ICs and I could work on this again.
Visually the chip didn't look too bad:
IMG_1935.jpeg

But when clipping the legs (I don't know how to use properly the heat gun, so I didn't want to risk removing a pad or something) I could see that were quite corroded, and when cleaning the pads I got a pretty nasty goo.
IMG_1936.jpeg

The replacement came from Aliexpress, as I could only find other options from the US and shipping was too expensive. I was a bit scared about getting something bad.
IMG_1938.jpeg

But everything works now. The Ethernet card was detected immediately, and the Macintosh Display Card 8•24 works wonderfully. So now I have network and millions of colours!
IMG_1940.jpeg

So, @Bolkonksij, this is worth of trying. The chips I got are these.

Last edited:

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
But everything works now. The Ethernet card was detected immediately, and the Macintosh Display Card 8•24 works wonderfully. So now I have network and millions of colours!
Congratulations, great work!

Reactions: pfuentes69

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Been dealing with the same issue on my IIci... Alas, replacing the chip doesn't seem to have done anything to solve it. Said machine has been recapped twice. Once by a previous owner, and just recently by a friend of mine who's diagnosing the issue on it and another friend's IIci.

AlexCL

Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
I have the same issue on my IIci...recapped it (hack job) and it still works fine but the NuBus Network Card is still not seen by TattleTech or Snooper 2.0...I've tried 2 different cards in it.