Project request - Duo battery case 3d print

misterg33

New Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2022
Hi there. I'm no good with 3d printing or CAD (or even taking measurements for that matter). But if YOU are, would you be interested in designing a Duo battery case for AA or AAA batteries? Has anyone already done this? It might make a good project for anyone around here with a youtube channel and an online store.

I've seen projects where people have rebuilt their batteries using NiCads and spot welders. I tried doing that but gave up. I could never get the spot welds to hold, and the replacement batteries were a very tight fit.

Looking online it seems that AA or even AAA rechargeable batteries would probably work. I tried buying some AAA battery holders, but they were just a smidge too large to fit inside the Duo battery case. It looks like some similar projects were in process at some point for Powerbook 500 and 1400 batteries but I don't know if they were ever completed

Which brings me to my request -- If you are good with 3d printing, would you be interested in trying to design a Duo battery holder for either AA or AAA batteries? It would need slots for springs, or springy metal to make contacts on either end. I am willing to donate an actual Duo battery case to the cause (it's already disassembled). The other question I don't have an answer for yet is if any of the additional hardware inside the battery would be needed for this project. I'm not sure what the other stuff in the battery is for. I'm thinking charging the battery from the Duo isn't necessary, but if it works that's a bonus.

Thanks for your time!

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Hi, I have a battery replacement for the Powerbook 1X0 line, don’t have a duo or access to one. I could try if had one in hand.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
The 500 and Duo series batteries are shaped and sized differently. Even the battery contacts are placed differently.

PowerBook Duo series battery

1666192601863.png
1666192644277.png
1666192657563.png

PowerBook 5xx series battery

1666192778381.png
1666192828942.png
1666192848645.png

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Somebody will need to send Joe or Ron (he has a 3D scanner) a battery to be made. Also looks like it has a cap, the black part, which is not part of the battery.
I read somewhere that is so thin it can't fit many batteries there, so you may need to do some research before creating a replacement, as a 3D print may not hold enough batteries for it to be usable.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
There was a good discussion about battery replacement for the PB Duo:

misterg33

New Tinkerer
Oct 10, 2022
Somebody will need to send Joe or Ron (he has a 3D scanner) a battery to be made. Also looks like it has a cap, the black part, which is not part of the battery.
I read somewhere that is so thin it can't fit many batteries there, so you may need to do some research before creating a replacement, as a 3D print may not hold enough batteries for it to be usable.
Chat me where to send the battery and I'll ship it out. Using AAA batteries instead of AA will probably work. It won't run as long but it's better than nothing!