Project30_v5.5

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Drat, tried to edit and hit delete? Anyhoo . . .

An ancient pipedream got a new lease on life recently at the MLA. I was staring at my beautiful new, black SE/30 board and thinking about one of the IIcx boards @trag has in his hoard for populating his and it finally hit me!

SE/30 doesn't play nicely at all with the IIsi NuBus Adapter's NuCHIP30 ASIC . . . thinkin' it needs a IIcx NuCHIP injection! 😮

P30-TwinSlot-010.jpg

We'll see. At least I can see my pics full size and print the PDF versions out from here when I'm at work tomorrow.

Attachments

• P30-TwinSlot-011.pdf
    261.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Wow
Reactions: eric

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
What is this?

Sorry, I'm ignorant of the goings on at the MLA. I see it's a card for the SE/30 with multiple slots and a NuChip (versus an OldChip?) ha ha. But what is the main purpose?

Reactions: eric

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
As I said in the other thread ""just for teh "because I can" cred?"" I've always wanted to shoehorn a NuBus card into the SE/30.

No practical purpose for it unless someone develops a NuBus Controller. The discrete component NuBus Adapter from Radius would be the obvious approach. 40MHz crystal and timing setup from the baseline IIcx schematic needs to be inserted into the kluge.

The above is not scope creep, it's an exploration of the possibilities for future insanity whilst bringing my drawings from a completed project. @Bolle and @joethezombie jumped in and brought that one to fruition. I have the the illustrations from the DiiMO form factor PowerCache Adapter as a starting point. So now it's time to knock it back down to a simple prototype that'll be worth keeping around just 'cause.

In the drawing above, the slots are pointing at the back end of the case which requires flipping everything around.

Not gonna happen as this is a see monkey do exercise in manual board layout. The NuBus slot(s) will be oriented in reverse as compared to pics from my cubic experimentation. That way I can crib the layout from the repro IIcx board @max1zzz developed.

8vRuFk.jpg

I will however be extending the bus to that second slot for experimental craziness. :p

Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
As I said in the other thread...

No practical purpose for it unless someone develops a NuBus Controller...

@Bolle[/USER] and @joethezombie jumped in and brought that one to fruition. I have the the illustrations from the DiiMO form factor PowerCache Adapter as a starting point. So now it's time to knock it back down to a simple prototype that'll be worth keeping around just 'cause.
I assume that "other thread" means the MLA, and I'm not sure where that thread is, hence my confusion about what has been said and hence my continued curiosity. If there's no practical purpose without a NuBus Controller, as you said, then did the creation by @Bolle & @joethezombie truly function properly? I'm not clear on that point in light of what you said in the above quote.

Speaking of Bolle, I really, REALLY wish there was a single web page out there somewhere (even a single thread on the MLA I could reference) that showcased ALL of his recreations (not some, but ALL). A lot of what Bolle has put together (with and without the help of others) is amazing, and I often want to give people a URL so I can say, "Check this out!"

But getting back to your creation (or that of Bolle and Joe)...

If there has been something created for the SE/30 that is truly working, such that pretty much any NuBus Card will work (in the SE/30), that's truly amazing. I would go further and say this really is rather big news. As such, I'm surprised I'm the only one thus far commenting on it in this thread! Or maybe the lack of replies is due to the fact many readers are confused on certain points like I am. Then again, I tend to be the lone person confused on matters, so maybe not. 😅

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Yep, this'd be the current Rev. 5 of Project30 over there:

I should get a single slot up and working via the NuCHIP wedge, board production is surplus/damaged donor board limited. It'll be a very big thing if I can pull it off I think.

The one we pulled off would be ProtoCache1, Bolle's versions of the DiiMO PowerCache Adapter were the result.

I use code names so I can do title only searches for my projects. ;)

• Love
Reactions: JDW

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
De nada. ;) More pics for perusal at work in downtime tonight:

IIcx-NuBus-Implementation-00.jpg

TopIIcxMaxx-01.jpg

@max1zzz any chance you can send me the remaining layers of the IIcx board to use as templates in AI. I won't post any more than the above.

I'll ask here as well:
NuBus and PDS passthru will be split into a V configuration on my adapter,, so should the slot be terminated per RP1-4 on that side of the fork?

Reactions: JDW

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
I found a couple of interesting tidbits tonight during downtime at work:

I think this might be the right size, less the four corner pins it should be a match?

hws4774.jpg

Aim here is to solder the NuCHIP (from my IIcx or another donor) to this SMT->PGA adapter which can be socketed onto any of a progression of prototypes if needs be. After that's done I can send it back into my IIcx unless @trag comes up with a donor NuCHIP from one of the IIcx boards with which he's planning to populate his Black SE/30 boards. HINT!!!!! Final design, if they work, will then reside in TX and NC. :p

Adapter-SMT-00.jpg

Adapter-pins-00.jpg

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Just ordered the PGA adapter, so I can get started with manual board layout once I'm sure of the pinout! :)

PGA Socket supplier has a $30 minimum purchase, so I've a bit of shopping to do.