PS/2 to ADB Adapter PCB design for tashtrio by Tashtari

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
This is a reference PCB design for the "tashtrio" project my lampmerchant / @Tashtari . PCB is licensed Creative Commons Non-Commercial, and Tashtrio is licensed GPL V3.

Tashtrio allows you to use PS/2 keyboards and mice with your Macs. PS/2 peripherals may or may not be more available or more affordable in your area, so this is a helpful adapter to make working with vintage Macs easier.

One possible use case is those old PS/2 KVMs that are common and cheap - one PS/2 keyboard and mouse across all your vintage Macs? Sounds convenient to me.

This reference design is currently untested. This reference design has been tested and works.​

It's a descendant of a v0.2 test PCB, which worked fine on my beige G3 with an old PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 optical mouse I had laying around. Note that "right click" on PS/2 mice doesn't isn't a "right click" on the ADB machine.

After the V1 PCB has been produced and tested, I'll remove the 'untested' notice. It's been tested now.

If there's interest, I could stock these on my site or offer pre-programmed PIC12F1840 chips.

Edit on 21 Oct 2022: Reference PCB has been tested in my beige G3, working fine.

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
What about adding USB to Tashtrio so that a modern Mac/PC can be included? I use USB KVM and several Wombats from BMOW. I use my USB wireless mouse and keyboard across all of my vintage Macs and my modern Mac. The same is true for the reverse using my vintage Apple Standard Keyboard.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
The PIC12F1840 which is targeted by Tashtrio does not have USB hardware. I understand that this limits the usability somewhat, but it's still useful to have a reference PCB design.

Yeah. It is useful to start there. :) Thank you for all you do for the vintage Apple community, @Androda! I look forward to the Tashtrio ADB to PS/2 coming.

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
The V1 PCB has now been tested on my Beige G3, and it is working fine.

If you're interested in getting one of these converters, DM me and we'll figure it out.

landogriffin

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Iowa
piscsi.org
What about adding USB to Tashtrio so that a modern Mac/PC can be included? I use USB KVM and several Wombats from BMOW. I use my USB wireless mouse and keyboard across all of my vintage Macs and my modern Mac. The same is true for the reverse using my vintage Apple Standard Keyboard.

I have a working USB/ADB converter that you’re welcome to check out. I have a box of them laying around too.

github.com/akuker/adbuino

Reactions: retr01