Quadra 950 Chassis

CodeProfessor

New Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Hi everyone,

I am on a quest to find resources that could help me recreate the outer chassis of a Quadra 950. This could be a 3D model, a 3D scan, or a large number of pictures of the Quadra 950 outer chassis.

I apologize if I have overlooked an existing model or post; if this has already been done, or if you know of something I missed in my initial search, I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Request for Assistance
If you own a Quadra 950 and are willing to spare some time, I am looking for:
  • A rough 3D scan of the outer chassis using a newer iPhone and/or
  • A large number of pictures from all around the outer case that I can feed into a photogrammetry program like Beholder (https://beholder.vision/).

Background
The Quadra 950 holds a special place in my heart, and I have regretted parting with mine years ago. I have been toying with the idea of 3D printing an ATX case that resembles a Quadra 950 on the outside that I can put my main computer into.

My primary goal is to create an ATX case. However, if that proves to be unfeasible, I would like to make a miniature model similar to the Quadra 700 created by @Branchus recently (
).

Challenges
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find old Macs where I live. The Quadra 950 is particularly tough to come by - I have been searching for over three years and have yet to find one.

I know that this project will be challenging and that getting a 3D scan or a set of pictures is only the beginning. I have never undertaken a project like this before, but I have some time off work, and I am eager to learn. I promise to share any creations I make freely with the community.

Thank you for your assistance and your time.

Have a great day!

• Love
Reactions: Kai Robinson

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I have a Quadra 950 case that i can take measurements of - not sure if i can 3D scan anything though, but i can certainly try.

CodeProfessor

New Tinkerer
Oct 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I have a Quadra 950 case that i can take measurements of - not sure if i can 3D scan anything though, but i can certainly try.

Measurements would be fantastic Kai!

If you or anyone else has the ability to put one on a table and walk around it taking 20+ pictures from all kinds of angles. I believe I can derive a 3D model from a series of pictures like that.

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
ISTR a printable model for the CD bezel of the 950 is available. Extrapolating from that should give you a great start. You need only elongate the model at top and bottom implementing the returns for those panels and adding detail. The FDD "stripe" should be simple. Such would simplify your project considerably I would think.

quadra950-01.jpg

Recessed section easily stretched, combining parts developed as well. Recessed joint of the two major components easily done.
Anybody have linkage to the CD bezel model?

edit: photo randomly snagged out of image search for educational purposes.

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Check out the great work @360alaska did over in the MLA thread:

950cdfront.JPG

@360alaska how about extrapolating a full 950 front bezel to fit an ATX case of some sort/size as I've described?