Quadra PDS connector source?

Zane Kaminski

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Anyone have a source for the PDS connector used on a Quadra 700, 900, 650, and 800 PDS slot card?

According to the Quadra 700 dev note, the connector you put on a PDS card is a KEL 8807-140-170LH. Can’t find that anywhere for a reasonable price. I see some discussion on 68kMLA where one distributor quoted like $30 each! Ouch! I was trying to make a cache card and $30 totally blows the budget.

Zane Kaminski

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Can't confirm, but from the datasheet drawings 3M's PAK 50 connectors appear to be interchangeable with the KEL 8807. If you're able to confirm, you might be able to find those cheaper.

Ooh, thanks! Still expensive from the big suppliers ($12, MOQ 200) but much better than I was seeing before for the KEL part. Hopefully I can identify a smaller supplier with a big stock of the 3M connectors available for cheaper and smaller quantity.

lobust

Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
Ooh, thanks! Still expensive from the big suppliers ($12, MOQ 200) but much better than I was seeing before for the KEL part. Hopefully I can identify a smaller supplier with a big stock of the 3M connectors available for cheaper and smaller quantity.
Yeah, here in the UK I only found them available on Mouser, also MOQ 200, £8.xx each.

If it were me, I'd probably want to try and find one on ebay or something to check that it actually fits before I bought a load of them...

Melkhior

Tinkerer
Jan 9, 2022
Seems 3M inherited the reference from a company they bought, Robinson-Nugent. So maybe stock unloading such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/144212338687 would be compatible ? 3M reference is P50-140S-RR1-EA, this is P50-140S-RR1-TG, but the 3M datasheet doesn't say what the -EA means... Also it's not clear what they are selling exactly.

VCSMaster

New Tinkerer
Sep 12, 2022
Southeast USA
degrees.ddns.net
The same connector is used on Quadra 950 and WGS 95 if that helps you any. I believe the same physical part is used for the PDS riser on Centris/Quadra 600,610 but is not electrically compatible.

If you do wind up making a cache card or other accelerator for these machines I would be very interested in purchasing one

Reactions: Zane Kaminski

Melkhior

Tinkerer
Jan 9, 2022
I've created a resource with the datasheet for potential solutions.

The Robinson-Nugent variant of the connector is apparently available with MOQ 1 from Part #P50-140S-RR1-TG. I have no buying experience with that company, but someone on reddit was apparently successful for another rare connector, and they do answer e-mails. Shipping cost outside of the U.S. might be an issue (it's what stopped me buying a few to check for compatibility).

The 3M variant is reported as available for order with MOQ 200 from several large suppliers like Mouser.

Jockelill

New Tinkerer
Jul 4, 2022
I can confirm that the connector from Quest Comp works fine and that the company does deliver :).

eharmon

New Tinkerer
Dec 28, 2022
I've created a resource with the datasheet for potential solutions.

The Robinson-Nugent variant of the connector is apparently available with MOQ 1 from Part #P50-140S-RR1-TG. I have no buying experience with that company, but someone on reddit was apparently successful for another rare connector, and they do answer e-mails. Shipping cost outside of the U.S. might be an issue (it's what stopped me buying a few to check for compatibility).

The 3M variant is reported as available for order with MOQ 200 from several large suppliers like Mouser.
$16! Ouch.