Quantum ProDrive 80S Troubleshooting

lilliputian

Tinkerer
Mar 6, 2022
Los Angeles, California, USA
I will say, I had cleaned the top platter with IPA after contaminating it at one point in the restoration process. It left behind streaks (which are still there, even now that it's functioning). At one point before it began working, I had gently buffed with a microfiber cloth a small spot near the center of the platter, but I can't imagine that's what did it. The behavior of the drive had already begun to change, and it "recovering" itself may have been inevitable.

I suppose I know more or less now what's happening for the next time I try to recover a drive like this!

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@lilliputian, you gave the hard drive new life as you had it take a breath of air! :D

Yeah, it can get dangerous for the HDD when opening up in a non-clean room. :oops:

hard-drive-flying-height.png

lilliputian

Tinkerer
Mar 6, 2022
Los Angeles, California, USA
I've watched how to make a clean box in the past, and while it's certainly intriguing, it's not something I currently need right now as I'm not doing this nearly enough. But it would be a really good idea if I were to suddenly end up with a precious drive in need of recovery!

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I've watched how to make a clean box in the past, and while it's certainly intriguing, it's not something I currently need right now as I'm not doing this nearly enough. But it would be a really good idea if I were to suddenly end up with a precious drive in need of recovery!

Yeah, it makes sense. I am not in a hurry to make one, either. I will wait until when the time is right. Regardless, nice to know it can be done as a DIY. :)

Cheers!