Query: G5 iMac & Their Troublesome Power Supplies

2112st

Tinkerer
Oct 8, 2023
Northeastern New Jersey, USA
G5 iMac.jpg

So, I own one of these. A tiny bit of history-I bought this from someone a number of years ago for $60. I think the kid who owned it had little experience with Macs. No programs were on the computer. When I opened it up, I was stunned at how CLEAN it was inside! It became my main computer for a while. I loved it. (Still do, in fact).

Then one day, it wouldn't boot. Long story short-the power supply died. Ordered one from eBay for $32. It worked for about two weeks, then THAT one died! 🤣

I did some reading. Apparently, Apple had outsourced the power supply manufacturing to a different company, which made defective power supplies. Hence, this seems to be a known issue. Hmmmm. 🤔

This was quite a few years ago, I have newer Macs now (including this M3 MacBook Pro I'm typing on).

I want to re-home this Mac. I'm trying to figure out what to do. I would like to get rid of some of the data on the drive and just leave the programs. But in order to do that, I need to get a working power supply.

BTW (and some of you surely know this) there is ABSOLUTELY NO wiggle room for your fingers when you are trying to remove/replace the power supply. One wrong move, and you'll rip a capacitor from the motherboard.

So-would recapping the power supply solve the problem? Were bad capacitors the issue with these power supplies? I wouldn't do the work myself; I have no knowledge on recapping. I'd have to find someone.

I just do not want this machine to end up in a recycling bin. But I have to get rid of the computers I have in my storage unit-which I have to get rid of eventually, since rental prices are going up.

phunguss

Tinkerer
Dec 24, 2023
Stillwater, MN
I recapped my G5 iMac in 2005, it was pretty easy to see all the caps that were swollen. I believe there were some on the motherboard as well as the PSU. I don't think Console5 has any recap kits for G5 iMac, so you would have to find appropriate caps elsewhere... you may be able to get by with just a generic assortment kit and pickup any extras that are not included or don't match.

Here is a kit specifically for the Motherboard caps.

And for the PSU, comes with soldering iron, desolder tool, solder wick, and solder.

Last edited: