QuickSANE

bakkus

Staff member
Mar 18, 2022
Oooo! Dragging the huge IIfx out of storage would be a chore? Compared to picking up a SE/30 and carrying it with one hand, the IIfx requires a cart?
It's just a little more involved - making room for the slab + screen + getting everything connected.
Anyways - it's running now, but I can't for the life of me figure out the QuickSANE image. What did you use to make it?
Disk Mounter 6.3 and ShrinkWrap 3.something both simply refuse to mount it.

lilliputian

Tinkerer
Mar 6, 2022
Los Angeles, California, USA
A few interesting related tidbits:

MathLibMoto

Omega SANE Hack

FFP_control (SGIL)

Last edited:
Reactions: retr01

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
It's just a little more involved - making room for the slab + screen + getting everything connected.
Anyways - it's running now, but I can't for the life of me figure out the QuickSANE image. What did you use to make it?
Disk Mounter 6.3 and ShrinkWrap 3.something both simply refuse to mount it.
I just used Disk Copy to create the image.. and then Zipped it.

bakkus

Staff member
Mar 18, 2022
I just used Disk Copy to create the image.. and then Zipped it.
Could you try making a new one? Possibly StuffIt compressed?
The IIfx refuses to acknowledge it as a disk image of any sort, StuffIt gives a header fault while UnZipping, and trying to mount the image in BasiliskII funnily enough causes a crash that terminates the whole emulator.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
What date was version 1.7b of the SuperMac SpeedCard Utility CDEV? Did your contact say anything about when SuperMac released that version?
He didn't tell me the date, but I will find out the date when he gets it to me. Version 1.7b was never released to the general public, but apparently it was sent to select customers who had SpeedCard issues, on a case by case basis. My contact was the author of 1.7b. He created it to help out his customer support staff who were trying to assist SpeedCard customers with crashing issues. I won't know more until he gets it to me for testing. It won't be a cure for he audio issues though, unfortunately. I also doubt it will address the BlueSCSI conflict, since I am getting bombs at cold boot with BlueSCSI, long before the happy Mac icon and before any INITs load.

As to SANE and the SpeedCard control panel, we'll based on the article you posted, I guess Excel can use the 68881, and I guess the SANE setting does use the FPU in some operations, but it certainly doesn't use them in any of the benchmarks that I can see.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Some lines of code can address the increase in frequency for appropriate sound output. Suppose some accelerator vendors were able to patch up with fixes for distorted sounds, such as Total Systems for their SE accelerator. In that case, it seems to me something pretty much universal. Many lines of codes were not reinventing the wheel but using common and known lines for the same goal.

At the end of this web page by VintageApple, there is a listing of an updated driver from Total Systems that fixes the distorted sound:

"This 1991 driver was made for the Total Systems Gemini accelerators for the Macintosh SE. It also works with Novy Quik30 accelerators and fixes the distorted sound problem that otherwise accompanies the Novy boards."

So, with the right software, decompile the source code from the binary file, and then the few lines could be identified that fix distorted sound issues. Then by reverse software engineering and magic, new lines of code can be added to the binary file of the version 1.7b driver for your SuperMac accelerator to address the sound.