Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
I have a lovely Quicktake 200 and Smartmedia card but no way to upload the photos to a computer. I've purchased two readers — an old HP Smartmedia reader which turns out only supports 3.3v Smartmedia and a MicroTech CameraMate. Unfortunately, the CameraMate doesn't seem to power on, even with a 5v power supply.

Any suggestions or pro-tips I should be trying?

MindThreat

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
Do you have any Macs with OS 8-9 on them and a floppy drive or a PowerBook with PCMCIA slots? That's how I pull my images off the 1400 and Kanga then transfer/upload to a PCMCIA CF card adapter on the Mac side then to a USB CF card reader on the PC.

FlashPath floppy or ATA PCMCIA smart media reader card just on the Mac side alone:

0FC74296-F881-4372-BCED-26525CBC2E5D.jpeg

Writing it out makes me realize just how much legwork is involved just to do it all.

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
I have a lovely Quicktake 200 and Smartmedia card but no way to upload the photos to a computer. I've purchased two readers — an old HP Smartmedia reader which turns out only supports 3.3v Smartmedia and a MicroTech CameraMate. Unfortunately, the CameraMate doesn't seem to power on, even with a 5v power supply.

Any suggestions or pro-tips I should be trying?
I just bought a CameraMate new in box, sealed, off eBay not even 1 week ago. On the back of the box it shows compatibility for both types of SmartMedia card. There were a few on there for under $25.

I discovered it will NOT work on modern machines. (Like my Mac Pro running Mojave). The LED turns on, although it's hard to see from the angle because it's a bit dim, but no CompactFlash or 3.3/5v SmartMedia card seems to mount.

However, with an iBook it worked! The driver on the included CD was only for Mac OS 8.5 and froze my Mac OS 9.2 iBook G3 after the install. Thankfully the MacintoshGarden had a driver (link) for a newer driver that worked fine! Maybe try that and see if it works for you? :) Good luck!