Radius Two Page Display for Mac SE

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
I have purchased this Radius TPD few weeks ago and just had a time to check today. I have no Radius TPD monitor, so I just plugged into my Frankenstein SE to see if it "does" something.
Hard to say... what was the result...
If you see the pictures, the menu bar is double thick and the font size is also much bigger than the usual 20 pixel. If I connect "anything" to the BNC connector, it does not boot at all. It does chim up, RAM test ok, Happy Mac, but then just a raster gray picture what I can see. If I remove my 50 Ohm BNC terminator, then it boots into this "oversized" menu - but everything else are "normal" sized.

Do you have any idea, how to be sure the card works well?

... and how could I connect any display to it? I have a BNC to VGA converter but if I connect to the Radius card with a BNC cable - it still not boots - and no picture to see (over the converter)
Can I connect a DIY cable to the Green pin of a VGA cable and see something (in green of course)?
IMG_5736.jpeg
IMG_5737.jpeg

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Pictures and attachments are mostly missing from this thread, but there's a TXT Diagram of how I got mine up and running.

I've got decent pics somewhere of the cable setup or I'll take more. Hooking it up across VGA HD15 was a PITA, BNC hookup is a breeze if you've got that option.

jasonbuchwald

New Tinkerer
Apr 8, 2022
Hi there- I actually have two radius accelerators with their TPD daughter cards, with the BNC connector. Can you connect it to any monitor that has a BNC connector? Thanks in advance!

JB

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
I thought I'd hooked mine up to the BNC inputs of my 21" PrecisionColor workhorse from the day, but didn't see that mentioned in my MLA posts. I probably wouldn't have as that's the IIfx Display.

Give it a try, if it's a very wide ranging multisync it might work?

jasonbuchwald

New Tinkerer
Apr 8, 2022
Hmmm...I don't have one of those either PrecisionColors monitors either. I wonder if I have VGA on a multi sync LCD, if there's a converter somewhere? I actually have an LCD with composite inputs, I wonder if that's closer to the BNC TPD signal?

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Extron Scaler suggestion is my boilerplate answer for this kind of thing. Never got the TPD dialed in, but shouldn't be a a problem.

Extron_Scaler-Take1-RadiusTPD-SE-to-HDMI-1080p-x.JPG

I dialed in the far more interesting SuperMac Spec/8 SI to perfection. Never did do any more RTPD/SE playtime after that first "just set it up and try it" test of the Extron above. Should work out fine for any HDMI equipped display. Let me know the settings when you've got it dialed in. ;)

Someone else here or there bought the Extron at my suggestion recently. Don't recall feedback on final outcome. Thread linkage here would be great. One day I'll try to get all my oddball video card threads linked into one topic for easy reference.

Last edited:

jasonbuchwald

New Tinkerer
Apr 8, 2022
Thanks for the tip, that’s pretty cool. But I do have a question. My TPD has a BNC out, how do you connect that to the scaler? Does not look like the scaler has BNC input. Thanks!

jasonbuchwald

New Tinkerer
Apr 8, 2022
I actually already own one of the retroTink scalers, I wonder If that would work also, but that also has no BNC connectors LOL

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
BNC->HD15 VGA connector bodge is(was?) detailed in the thread I linked in my first post. I used if for my first foray into the depths of the RTPD/SE morass.

. . . definitely was documented as Pics went redirected in the forum software migration. I'll have to dig them up to post here and repost there.

I did search out the delinked origin thread:

So I had hooked up the PrecisionView the first time around. SE/RTPD boards were installed in the SE/30.

Radius-TPD-SE-GREEN-x.JPG

I'm pretty much a Radius Collector I think, the Macs are peripherals. :rolleyes:

Last edited: