RASCSI Internal holder?

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Yes, that was the idea to mount it in place of the 3.5 HD. Something like the holder available for the BlueSCSI.

I'll check out your proposal for combined holder, but maybe @PotatoFi's magic is required here :)

Reactions: landogriffin

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Does the RaSCSI bot up fast enough to be used internally? I use mine externally and power it up a few minutes early with a USB battery pack.

I guess the machine, if no other SCSI drives are present, will just wait for the RaSCSI to boot and mount the default config and associated drives?

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Does the RaSCSI bot up fast enough to be used internally? I use mine externally and power it up a few minutes early with a USB battery pack.

I guess the machine, if no other SCSI drives are present, will just wait for the RaSCSI to boot and mount the default config and associated drives?
Yes, that's it... you'll get the Mac waiting for the RASCSI service to start...

Reactions: wottle

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Makes sense. Somehow my childhood fear of plugging a SCSI device into a running machine made me concerned this would be a problem!
I have like this the SE/30 and the LC475 and only a few times I had to reset the Mac (using the keyboard) because I have several images that can boot and the Mac couldn't pick the right image on time, but this happens like 1 of each 10 times.

In the SE/30 I have added an external button to shutdown the Pi before switching off, and I want to do the same because I don't like to just turn it off... This can't be good...

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
There is a delay if powered internally, but it works. The issue with internal, however, is shutdown. Development updates are being worked out that will clear the drive cache if idle for a few seconds—without which, currently, if you initiate a shutdown and when prompted by MacOS to turn off machine, you run the risk of corrupting your HDD image file. Cutting the power on a Pi has long been a risk to corrupting the SD card, but that is not the issue here. I have not experienced SD card corruption, but I have seen drive image file corruption and all signs point to unwritten cache.

The workaround today is simple—before cutting power to the mac and consequently losing power on the Pi, you can login to the RaSCSI and shutdown RaSCSI which will clear the write cache.

This reliance on another device to ensure no data loss is not something those of us running external think about as we are powered separately.

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
There is a delay if powered internally, but it works. The issue with internal, however, is shutdown. Development updates are being worked out that will clear the drive cache if idle for a few seconds—without which, currently, if you initiate a shutdown and when prompted by MacOS to turn off machine, you run the risk of corrupting your HDD image file. Cutting the power on a Pi has long been a risk to corrupting the SD card, but that is not the issue here. I have not experienced SD card corruption, but I have seen drive image file corruption and all signs point to unwritten cache.

The workaround today is simple—before cutting power to the mac and consequently losing power on the Pi, you can login to the RaSCSI and shutdown RaSCSI which will clear the write cache.

This reliance on another device to ensure no data loss is not something those of us running external think about as we are powered separately.
camphoto_351212254.jpg

A shutdown button is very easy to add... I shutdown the Mac, then when it tells me that I can switch off the machine, I press the button and in a few seconds the Pi is halted and I can safely power off

Last edited:

BPearce

New Tinkerer
May 9, 2022
A shutdown button is very easy to add...

Would you mind providing a gentle nudge in the right direction for implementing this? My understanding is that the RaSCSI (mine is due to arrive this week!) uses the GPIO, and I haven't been able to find an explanation of how to implement this without connecting to a few of those pins.

Thanks!

nottomhanks

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Would there be a way to power sequence both of them? Like push a button, and it starts up the RaSCSI first, and the Mac like 10-15 seconds later once the Pi is up and running?

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Would you mind providing a gentle nudge in the right direction for implementing this? My understanding is that the RaSCSI (mine is due to arrive this week!) uses the GPIO, and I haven't been able to find an explanation of how to implement this without connecting to a few of those pins.

Thanks!
Hey.

Apparently the RASCSI only leaves GPIO9 as an useable input to connect a button (it has two more in the board, but it seems that aren't really available). You need to connect the button to that pin and to ground.
2021-09-08T19-29-31.346Z-IMG_0159.jpg

Then you need to edit config.txt (in /boot) and add this line:
dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown,gpio_pin=9

Last edited:

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Would there be a way to power sequence both of them? Like push a button, and it starts up the RaSCSI first, and the Mac like 10-15 seconds later once the Pi is up and running?
Technically speaking yes... You could use GPIO9 to control a relay with a python script and turn on/off the power line of the Mac, but frankly speaking I don't know if this is useful, as you can simply let the Mac waiting (blinking disk with question mark) until the RASCSI service is enabled.

Reactions: nottomhanks