Recapping a Performa 550 - Same as Color Classic II main board?

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Looking at capacitor replacement kits at console5.com for my Performa 550. It's not listed specifically, so I'm trying to be careful and verify. The board in my Performa is marked "820-0368-A" which is listed at console5.com as a Color Classic II board. Isn't the Performa 550 main board the same board you can use to upgrade a Color Classic?
I think this is probably the right kit.

https://console5.com/store/macintos...um-main-pcb-cap-kit-colour-classic-lc550.html

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Looking at capacitor replacement kits at console5.com for my Performa 550. It's not listed specifically, so I'm trying to be careful and verify. The board in my Performa is marked "820-0368-A" which is listed at console5.com as a Color Classic II board. Isn't the Performa 550 main board the same board you can use to upgrade a Color Classic?
I think this is probably the right kit.

https://console5.com/store/macintos...um-main-pcb-cap-kit-colour-classic-lc550.html
you can use the 550 board to upgrade the color classic, but most people use 575 boards. Maybe they had more color classic ii boards produced but not enough color classic chassis to put them, due to dwindling popularity of the color classic ii in many regions, so they made the 550 one and stuck the color classic ii board in with a ROM that reports it as a 550?

Reactions: Eric's Edge

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
This is totally right for caps, but I think I read somewhere that there is more soldered on VRAM on the LC 550 board than the CC II board. Its not exactly the same. Trivia…

Last edited:
Reactions: dougg3

dougg3

New Tinkerer
Jan 10, 2022
www.downtowndougbrown.com
Interesting, I hadn’t noticed that the stock VRAM was different between the two. You’re right, the CCII has 256 KB and the 550 has 512 KB. They’re listed as the same service part (661-1830) in Apple’s service source stuff, as well as this module identification guide:

Maybe the service part was always simply a 550 board with 512 KB of VRAM soldered, and it was “close enough” for CCII replacements. Thanks for pointing out that difference!

Reactions: Fizzbinn

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Recapping completed. Had a couple of pads come off but was able to fix it with a bit of wire and offsetting one of the caps over the remaining trace to the pad.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Interesting, I hadn’t noticed that the stock VRAM was different between the two. You’re right, the CCII has 256 KB and the 550 has 512 KB. They’re listed as the same service part (661-1830) in Apple’s service source stuff, as well as this module identification guide:

Maybe the service part was always simply a 550 board with 512 KB of VRAM soldered, and it was “close enough” for CCII replacements. Thanks for pointing out that difference!
520 and Ccii share the same ROM too.

Reactions: Eric's Edge