Recommended NeXTStation maintenance

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I have a NeXT station I’ve had since college that I turn on occasionally. The hard drive started acting up a while back and I replaced it with a SCSI2SD. Other than that, it’s still original. The display is a little dim, but still work.

Should I recap it. Replace the battery holder with a CR2032 holder? Anything I can do for monitor?

Any recommended guides would be great, including cap lists is helpful for someone like me with no background in this stuff!

Reactions: KingDingus

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
It I was so lucky to be the owner, I'd definitely check the caps for signs of leaks or corrosion nearby... and once I took out the board I'd give a good clean with IPA.

I personally don't like the CR2032 mod... but I hope you already replaced the battery.

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Can you elaborate regarding why you don't care for the CR2032 mod? I was thinking of going that route with the kitty adapters. Or is that even what you were referring to?
It’s just because I don’t like much changes that affect to the aesthetics.
But from a practical standpoint the CR mod is a very good idea.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Can you elaborate regarding why you don't care for the CR2032 mod? I was thinking of going that route with the kitty adapters. Or is that even what you were referring to?
Yeah, the little adapters that allow you to put a CR2032 battery in the existing PRAM battery slot would be ideal, because it's not modifying the board, but giving you the same benefit of not worrying about battery leakage (https://www.etsy.com/listing/103410...aa-battery-replacement?ref=shop_home_active_1).

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Yeah, the little adapters that allow you to put a CR2032 battery in the existing PRAM battery slot would be ideal, because it's not modifying the board, but giving you the same benefit of not worrying about battery leakage (https://www.etsy.com/listing/103410...aa-battery-replacement?ref=shop_home_active_1).
Yes, that's ideal. Best of both worlds... I didn't know about this "kitty" thing, so I though this was about soldering a CR battery holder, which is what I don't like...
I need to get a couple of these adapters...

Reactions: wottle

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Yes, that's ideal. Best of both worlds... I didn't know about this "kitty" thing, so I though this was about soldering a CR battery holder, which is what I don't like...
I need to get a couple of these adapters...
I don't think these particular adapters will work - the size and type of the NeXT battery is different than the 1/2 AA you get in Macs. Pretty sure it's this one. I'd have to go pull one of mine to double check, but I'm 99% sure this is it:

Also, linkage from nextcomputers.com

Reactions: wottle

JdM74

New Tinkerer
Jan 16, 2024
Georgetown TX
Definitely recap your NeXTstation. There is a comprehensive guide on what's needed to do the job. If you have soldering skills, it can take a couple of hours, but certainly worth it. I just got done recapping a Mono and Mono Turbo slab and a Cube logic board. Happy that they're done.

Slab recap guide: http://www.asterontech.com/Asterontech/nextstation_mono_retore.htm

As for batteries..I say go with the original. The Panasonic battery that's in there is one of the best made, and will last close to 30 years without any failures.