Recreating Backlit Macintosh Portable Display Flex Cables

To Cable or Not To Cable?

• Would buy one

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Would buy one (with connector move service)

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Would not buy one (too expensive)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Would not buy one

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
There are a few bare v1 cables remaining at $35 each, so DM me if you're interested.

Life has been hectic, I hope to have a v1.1 design which addresses the issues with v1 in the next few weeks.

Eric1989

New Tinkerer
May 2, 2022
hello, I am very interested in a flex cable for macintosh portable 5126. (backlit) how do I proceed with the purchase? eBay? Thanks i wait answer!

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
A second revision of these cables has been made and they're in the mail now. This revision makes the holes for the connector slightly larger for easier soldering, and the whole back of the cable will have the PI protector film.

I've found a connector which I think will work to replace the original. It'll just take either a flex cable revision or a little adapter PCB because pin spacing is completely different. I lean more toward using an adapter PCB and will spend some time working on that to see if it'll work. This new connector is $9 each (gross) but would allow me to sell fully made replacement cables with no need to move the original connector.

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Circling back to this project, I just tried the Samtec SMS-117-01-G-D as a possible new source for the connector on the backlit portable's screen cable. Sadly, the connector housing is *just barely* too large. The pin spacing is correct, but the socket doesn't want to fit. With a little exacto knife shaving, it would probably work. Also, the connector requires a rework of the cable because the original connector's legs are spaced differently than the connecting-pin side.

So to provide 'new' connectors, it appears there are two options. 1) Use the Samtec and just shave down the housing until it fits. 2) Use single-row socket strip and cut to length.

Why is all this even necessary? Apple used a non-standard connector pitch. The pins are 1.27mm apart, which is a standard. But the rows are 2.54mm apart, and I can't find anything modern which matches that other than the Samtec.

Also, my next round of flex cables has arrived, and these look better. Electrically shielded on one side, and the other side is a full coverage plastic backing sheet to help guard against puncture.

edit: Did a quick test, and two minutes of carefully shaving down the Samtec made it fit perfectly. This is a better solution than the separate socket rows, in my opinion, because it should be more robust against vibration.

Last edited:

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
The updated cables have arrived, and the soldering rings for the original connector are much better this time. Far easier to solder onto. If you'd like one, DM me. Currently waiting for test results before making the link generally available on my site.

Eric1989

New Tinkerer
May 2, 2022
Hi, thanks for letting me know! I repaired the cable you sent me and it works fine! I need an adapter for scsi 50 pin. Do you have any kit to repair portable hard drive 5120? Cheers

JonF

New Tinkerer
Jan 25, 2022
Another 5126 fixed with a new cable!

PS, if anyone wants to sell me a "4" key and/or a "-" key please send me a message!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 11.01.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 11.01.59 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.51.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.51.17 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited: