Red Ryder questions, unpacking software

gfuller

New Tinkerer
Looks like ZTerm is trying to display color. Does it have options for disabling foreground and background color?

@Byte Knight - is CQII usable without escape sequences?
Turns out this was the case... I had to de-select "Use colors" under Settings > Color Preferences. After doing that CQ II looks great... almost like it does in Kermit, but some of the graphics are actually complete. I might do a video at some point showing the differences. Also 57.6K seems to run perfectly fine.

I tried the Yterm download (of ZTerm) in ZTerm and it still wouldn't work. I'm going to try some other protocols

gfuller

New Tinkerer
For posterity, a more public update:

With some help from @Byte Knight via CQ II running on ZTerm, I finally figured out the download issue somewhat. Zmodem worked perfectly fine once I slowed the rate to 9600. I was told I can go faster with hardware handshake enabled, but I completely forgot to test downloading a file running at a faster rate with hardware handshake on. (Trying to download using Zmodem at 57.6K without hardware handshake resulted in "Data CRC error" and "Hdr CRC error" issues aborting the download.)

Downloading files are kinda moot when I can't un-stuff the SIT archives on the SE. It's a shame this machine is so hobbled because it's the most interesting one in my collection, and the only functional vintage Mac at the moment. (Hoping to get the Classic up and running again here in a few weeks after getting its logic board reworked and cleaned... some oxidation causing weird problems, despite having it completely recapped and ultrasonic cleaned back in 2020.) The SuperSE can't load high-density (1.44MB) floppies (pre-FDHD/SuperDrive), can't run some software due to the accelerator, can't work with the HD-20 emulation mode I typically relied on for larger file transfers. And, most frustratingly, it can't run any version of System 7 with the accelerator installed... it just completely ignores the fact its installed and runs on the stock hardware (68000, 4 MB RAM instead of '030 and 16 MB) despite having the drivers.

A lot of the uses I initially wanted to use this machine for require System 7. 🙃 System 6 isn't bad for writing and other basic uses, but browsing the web (rendering any HTML documents and/or simple web graphics), using more advanced software or working with higher-quality graphics (e.g. TrueType fonts) is nearly impossible.

Anyways, enough complaining for tonight. :LOL: The previous owner got a lot of use out of it and its younger sibling, my 1994 PowerBook 165 awaiting restoration. I just wonder how he managed to open StuffIt archives. :LOL:

Byte Knight

Tinkerer
Oct 21, 2021
With some help from @Byte Knight via CQ II running on ZTerm, I finally figured out the download issue somewhat. Zmodem worked perfectly fine once I slowed the rate to 9600. I was told I can go faster with hardware handshake enabled, but I completely forgot to test downloading a file running at a faster rate with hardware handshake on. (Trying to download using Zmodem at 57.6K without hardware handshake resulted in "Data CRC error" and "Hdr CRC error" issues aborting the download.)
Yes, I'm able to d/l files via ZModem at 57.6 with hardware handshake enabled without any issues.

Downloading files are kinda moot when I can't un-stuff the SIT archives on the SE. It's a shame this machine is so hobbled because it's the most interesting one in my collection, and the only functional vintage Mac at the moment. (Hoping to get the Classic up and running again here in a few weeks after getting its logic board reworked and cleaned... some oxidation causing weird problems, despite having it completely recapped and ultrasonic cleaned back in 2020.) The SuperSE can't load high-density (1.44MB) floppies (pre-FDHD/SuperDrive), can't run some software due to the accelerator, can't work with the HD-20 emulation mode I typically relied on for larger file transfers. And, most frustratingly, it can't run any version of System 7 with the accelerator installed... it just completely ignores the fact its installed and runs on the stock hardware (68000, 4 MB RAM instead of '030 and 16 MB) despite having the drivers.
It sounds like the best way to get things onto your SE with your current setup is to Unstuff files in BasiliskII and then transfer them over via blank disk images on your Floppy Emu. You could also set up a PiSCSI with netatalk file server for network access to get things to and from your SE. The netatalk file server is the ultimate setup in my opinion, as your modern and vintage Macs can access it.

gfuller

New Tinkerer
It sounds like the best way to get things onto your SE with your current setup is to Unstuff files in BasiliskII and then transfer them over via blank disk images on your Floppy Emu. You could also set up a PiSCSI with netatalk file server for network access to get things to and from your SE. The netatalk file server is the ultimate setup in my opinion, as your modern and vintage Macs can access it.
What if software and other files from the archive can't fit on a single 800K disk image? Hopefully when I get the Classic functional again I can just un-stuff them on there if needed, as I have System 7 installed on it and *should* be able to run newer versions of StuffIt Expander/Deluxe. I'm guessing I could simply plug the two Macs together via serial and do a file transfer just like I am with my modern Mac? (I know AppleTalk is a thing, but I don't have a LocalTalk adapter.)

gfuller

New Tinkerer
Sorry about reviving this thread, but I had another serial-related issue arise and wasn't sure about creating an entirely new thread for possibly a simple issue.

Today I tried to transfer a (RTF) file from my Classic to my M1 Mac mini using ZTerm, but it failed. Until now I really haven't had any issues going from the old machine to new. The transfer didn't transfer any data, even after well over a minute. Then I noticed while typing on the M1's keyboard that Zterm would display strange characters. However, typing on the Classic would display the usual characters in Serial on the mini. The behavior continued even after power cycling the machine and restarting Zterm and Serial multiple times.

I've checked settings on both machines, with both set to 57600.8.N.1. Am I missing something simple that might be causing it to act up? The physical connection is good.
B91929F6-F551-41B1-ABA0-E2B6BE600F0A.JPG

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Make sure you haven't enabled any extended character sets, like UTF8. Both ends should be plain ASCII.

Reactions: gfuller

gfuller

New Tinkerer
Sorry to again resurrect this thread, but have been having a slight Zmodem transfer problem for serial transfers between my SE and modern Mac mini.

I'll occasionally have a transfer abort because of "Data CRC error" and "Hdr CRC error" in ZTerm. While I've had transfers work fine at 57600 baud, it still occurs even at 38400 baud. Last night had one or two quit in the middle, but today it was only going for 30 seconds before aborting. Seemed to not happen at 19200.

Edit: Never really happens on smaller files. Thankfully ZTerm will pick up right where it quit.

Byte Knight

Tinkerer
Oct 21, 2021
Sorry to again resurrect this thread, but have been having a slight Zmodem transfer problem for serial transfers between my SE and modern Mac mini.

I'll occasionally have a transfer abort because of "Data CRC error" and "Hdr CRC error" in ZTerm. While I've had transfers work fine at 57600 baud, it still occurs even at 38400 baud. Last night had one or two quit in the middle, but today it was only going for 30 seconds before aborting. Seemed to not happen at 19200.

Edit: Never really happens on smaller files. Thankfully ZTerm will pick up right where it quit.
Check this link out - I wasn't able to get ZModem working but did get YModem working at 57,600 baud with White Knight Host Mode.