Reinforce case tabs

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I just came into a nice Quadra 605, and the case tabs that hold on the top cover have not broken...yet! I know this is a problem with many of this generation of Mac.

Has anyone had success with reinforcing these tabs before they break to avoid the inevitable? I was thinking of roughing up the surface on the inside of the case and then coating with a layer of JBWeld or similar epoxy, maybe with some kind of plastic mesh (screen door?) embedded.

Not very elegant, perhaps, but not visible from the outside, and if it keeps the tabs in place, I'm not as concerned how it looks on the inside.

If others have had success with similar or different methods, do tell!

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
I just came into a nice Quadra 605, and the case tabs that hold on the top cover have not broken...yet! I know this is a problem with many of this generation of Mac.

Has anyone had success with reinforcing these tabs before they break to avoid the inevitable? I was thinking of roughing up the surface on the inside of the case and then coating with a layer of JBWeld or similar epoxy, maybe with some kind of plastic mesh (screen door?) embedded.

Not very elegant, perhaps, but not visible from the outside, and if it keeps the tabs in place, I'm not as concerned how it looks on the inside.

If others have had success with similar or different methods, do tell!
Not exactly plastic tabs, but I've used firm steel mesh (Amazon) to reinforce a shattered HD20 and can confirm it works quite nicely.

Reactions: RetroViator

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
I've actually done something a little more drastic with mine. I filed off the little lump of plastic that clicks the tabs onto the case, so that the case just slips off and on without any sort of 'snap'. That way no pressure ever need to be applied to the tabs. I realise this means that the case is not actually locked in position, but when it's sitting there with a monitor on it, who's gonna know?

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I've actually done something a little more drastic with mine. I filed off the little lump of plastic that clicks the tabs onto the case, so that the case just slips off and on without any sort of 'snap'. That way no pressure ever need to be applied to the tabs. I realise this means that the case is not actually locked in position, but when it's sitting there with a monitor on it, who's gonna know?

That's actually not a bad idea! Guess that's why you're the famous Internet Mac guru and I'm....not. :)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Bruce, it's been years since I've opened my HD20, and since you mentioned those two tabs, I'd love a refresher. The MacGUI blog says this...

1654059406350.png

But that isn't specific enough. Pressing on them a tiny bit with my flat head screwdriver doesn't magically allow the lid to be lifted. What is your Step-by-Step to get the lid off without breaking the 2 tabs?

lobust

Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021

I did basically the same thing with the power/interrupt buttons on my Q800 after one of the latches snapped off and I had to glue it back on again. I cut about 75% of the latch taper away. Still locks in place just fine but with very little deflection required to install or remove it.

If you do end up using something to reinforce the tabs I'd be very careful about making them too rigid. With a layer of strong epoxy applied they will not bend at all and simply break off further back into the lid when you try and use them. That or the plastic will splinter and crack around the epoxy.

On something like pizzabox case tabs I might be inclined to rout out the underside of the tabs and fill the cavity with new abs/acetone goop so that it retained some flexibility. I've never tried this as I don't have any applicable cases, but I think it would probably be something I would try.

Reactions: JDW

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
What is your Step-by-Step to get the lid off without breaking the 2 tabs?
My apologies @JDW but I've never had an HD20 in my hands before, so I wouldn't have a clue!

Reactions: JDW