Removing logo/emblem from Mac 512k.

michaelx74

New Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2022
Ankeny, IA
Best suggestions on removing a classic Mac logo emblem such as this? I've got a new heat gun but have no experience with it yet. Wise/unwise? Other options? Currently have it soaking in a bit of Goo Gone.
IMG_9931.jpeg

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
You have to remove the back cover before, and for that you need the loooong torx screwdriver! Then it should be accessible from the bottom, behind the analog board, below the CRT?

michaelx74

New Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2022
Ankeny, IA
Welp... I've got it open and have done some gouging at this spot where it looks like it is involved in the logo. Not budging. Is this going to require an entire disassembly to get at this? Can seemingly only get to it from this extreme side angle.
IMG_9968.jpeg
IMG_9969.jpeg

BPearce

New Tinkerer
May 9, 2022
This won’t be a helpful response if the computer is assembled, I know — but I had good luck with running it under hot water to soften the adhesive, and pushing it out from the back with a small SIM card tool.

Last edited:

michaelx74

New Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2022
Ankeny, IA
I just watched a video where it showed a Mac SE‘s front speaker had melted plastic bits holding it in. It kinda looks like what I”m seeing on the backside of the logo. Is this what’s going on there by chance?

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Possibly.

It may be best to remove the bezel, then do what @BPearce (RedJacketPress) suggests.

Or, if the serial number doesn't have to match, find a dead 128 or 512 with a decent bezel that has a good badge. Swap that on, and call it good.

François

Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2022
France
There’s a Teardown on iFixit, it’s for a 128K but they’re pretty similar, I think. It seems to me that all you have to do next is removing the analog board (the big vertical electronic board, iFixit call it the power supply) to gain access to the back of the front bezel. You may even won’t have to disconnect it from the other parts of the computer, you just need to push it enough out of the way. It’s not easy to see on iFixit photos, but there might be a cutout in the metal frame around the hole in the front bezel that allows you to push the logo from behind.

BPearce

New Tinkerer
May 9, 2022
I suppose if you wanted to avoid disassembly, you could very, very carefully use Super Glue to attach something to the damaged badge that might allow you to pull it out — in my experience, the adhesive was essentially double-sided tape, and I would expect it to give way.

You might also use a drill with a small bit to pierce the badge and pull it out. You run the risk of damaging the plastic beneath the badge, but that will ultimately be hidden.

michaelx74

New Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2022
Ankeny, IA
Thanks for that... I'd also had the thought of using a drill but the adhesive/glue is a good one. As this 512k is nicely yellowed, I think my plan will be to completely disassemble and retrobrite when this all goes down. I've had a Color Classic for years that has sat in a closet because I've been afraid to mess with it's CRT - as far as I can recall, it's screen was flickering off/on and is probably mostly off. It's been at least a decade.

When discharging the CRT... is any general screwdriver with a plastic handle good enough or is an electrician's insulated screwdriver a thing to use - or would that actually not be a good idea safety wise? (this oldie, but n00b has a lifelong aversion to electricity/shock - apologies for the queries!)