Repairing Apple II Plus Astec AA11040 Power Supply

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
I got an Apple II Plus which didn't power up.
I started with the power supply. Visual inspection of the Astec AA11040 shows that it's in pretty good condition.

IMG_4327.jpg

However when I turn it on there was nothing on the output. First issue I found was that the fuse was blown. This would indicate that there's likely something else wrong with the power supply.

I did a quick check across most of the components for shorts, but nothing turned up. I figured I would give it a go to see if the fuse blows again. The power supply did turn on fine, and I was getting correct voltage across all output rails, however I also noticed that some components were getting hot which should not be.

Specifically, C4 was getting really hot (>70°C). C5 was also getting moderately hot. This was really out of place, as electrolytic capacitor should not get hot during normal use.

IMG_4389.jpg
160545[F].jpg

C4 and C2 run in parallel, and act as smoothing capacitors after the rectifier. Since only one of them is overheating, I'm pretty confident that the capacitor is the culprit here.
My initial plan here is to do a full re-cap on this board. I didn't have the board ON for more than 30 seconds. I'm sure if I leave it ON for a couple minutes something will pop.

I've also noticed the load resistors on the output have started burning the board itself. Not sure why this is occurring or if it's expected. I'm planning on replacing these three as well.

IMG_4395.jpg

Lastly, I've also noticed that 2 of the polyester capacitors are cracked.

C1 says "0.1 630", which I guess is 0.1uF 630v, data sheet shows "POLYESTER CAPACITOR 0.1 UF 400V" so that's straight forward. Will use ECQ-E6104JF as replacement.

But C20 is not on the schematic part list. I think it says "0.1 160" which I assume is 0.1uF 160v. Image below, I plan on using ECQ-E2104JFB, I hope it's the right replacement.

IMG_4398.jpg

Reactions: rikerjoe

AndyDiags

Tinkerer
Dec 18, 2021
After replacing the capacitors, the power supply is working perfectly.

I'm glad I replaced the film capacitor that had cracks.
IMG_4331.jpg

Just touching it caused a small piece of it to fall off

As soon as I desoldered it, the leg fell completely off. Here it is next it it's replacement part.
IMG_4985 2.jpg

Reactions: skate323k137