Replacement headphone jack for Macintosh IIci and similar logic boards

jack 68k

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin
I'm looking for a replacement for the white plastic + metal headphone jack found on most Macintosh II series and related logic boards. I've not made an exhaustive list, but I believe it is found on Macintosh II revision B, IIx, IIcx, IIci, IIfx, and Quadra 700 logic boards. Unfortunately, I have a IIci where a couple of the signal pins have corroded away from leaking caps that are right next to it. Since the jack is in the audio circuit to the speaker connector, the speaker will not work without a functioning jack.

I pulled a working jack off of a donor board (shown in attached pictures) but the contacts inside are not in the best shape so I'm hunting for replacements.

The closest readily available part I have found is the CUI Devices SJ-3589ANG. The pins and internal switches are correct, and the layout fits the board, but there are some differences that make it less than ideal. Most problematically, the height is shorter than the original jack so when you put the board in the case, the jack touches the bottom of the case cutout rather than being in the center. This makes it difficult to insert plugs into the jack and likely puts stress on it while plugged in. In the photos you can see there are other minor physical differences including the diameter of the plastic feet that sit in the board; probably not the biggest concern.

Has anyone had any luck finding a better replacement?

Attachments

• Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

dougg3

New Tinkerer
Jan 10, 2022
www.downtowndougbrown.com
Amazingly enough, I actually asked for help with this same question on reddit many moons ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskElectronics/comments/2z2k1t
The helpful information that I received was that the star logo on the top is Hosiden. One person suggested the HSJ0914-01-040 might be the part number, but it doesn't look like a perfect physical match to me. That part number is available on eBay, you can check for yourself too. I never figured out the exact part number, but luckily I was able to solder on a new leg to my broken one.

I also found that the Kycon STX-3100-9N seemed to be a pretty close match, but you'd probably want to double check me. I never actually tried it, so me from 6 years ago could have been completely wrong.

Reactions: trag

jack 68k

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin
Hosiden! That indeed matches the manufacturer symbol on my original. I measured the height from the board to the center of the jack to be apparently 8mm, and with the helpful info from @dougg3 I was able to dig up an old datasheet . The original is very similar to the Hosiden HSJ0948-0160109 series. I see two variations that appear to have the correct dimensions, pins, and switch orientation:
  • HSJ0948-0160409 (with stopper)
  • HSJ0948-0161409 (without stopper)
Confirming what appear to be the original specs is very helpful when scouring datasheets. Unfortunately, the CUI Devices and Kycon models noted here are only 6.5mm from the board to the center of the jack. The search continues...

Attachments

• Front 2.jpg
    Front 2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Reactions: KingDingus

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
If the legs are long enough, maybe a 1.2mm interposer PCB might be enough?
You can check with a piece of cardboard, make holes to get the pins through, and see if they go down to the other face of the logic board.
It will be a bit more fragile, but it should work.