Replacing the polarizer on a PowerBook 150

Oct 15, 2021
Y'all remember my delaminated PowerBook 150 screen, right? Well have I got a story for you...

0.JPG

I ended up ordering a new polarizer from China (as suggested in this video:

It took a bit to get here, but finally arrived last week.

00.jpg

Poor Poor PB150... it looks like someone ran their nails across your screen. LET'S DISASSYMBLE!

2.JPG

First step is to CAREFULLY peal off the old polarizer. I was lucky.. it came off in one big sheet.

3.JPG

I was less lucky because the adhesive layer stayed behind and one, huge, thick sheet of crystalized glue and it's thin plastic bonding layer).

4.JPG

After much scraping (using a mini razor paint scraper) and cursing (my mouth), I was able to completely remove the adhesive layer.

Here's the display reinstalled in the PB150 with no polarizer in place. Just bright white light... till...

6.JPG

YOU BEEN POLARIZED, SON! Looks great... AND if you flip the polarizer around backwards, it inverts black for white.

Now to use the original polarizer as a template, cut this new one to size, and install it permanently in the PB150.

Many thanks to Mr. Shuichiro Hirakawa!

7.JPG

techknight

Staff member
Dec 2, 2021
North Carolina
There was a website I was looking at (i need to go back and look) that sells different versions, such as gloss, 50% matte, and matte.

The one you picked up appears to be gloss so it looks kinda odd. I think the powerbooks were all 50% matte but I could be wrong.

Regardless, Looks great :)

DONT FORGET!!! There is a rear polarizing film that is just as susceptible to PVA breakdown as the front one is.

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
This question was asked over at 68kmla, and it seems the angle is 45 degrees on the front (and therefore 135deg on the rear polarizer). However it seems the angles themselves don't matter so much as ensuring a 90deg difference between the front polarizer and the rear. So buying a larger sheet that can be cut to size seems like the recommended approach. The thread also highlights concerns about choosing a suitable filter for greyscale vs monochrome, as results differ. Another caution noted is about the quality of the film, or good matching between the two, as not having good blocking can create undesirable results (weird tinting, blurriness, etc.).

TheBasement

Tinkerer
Mar 2, 2022
Launceston, Tasmania
youtube.com
Hey @Ron's Computer Videos how did you go sticking down the new polariser? I’ve had a real dickens on a time getting it stuck down without looking terrible. After wasting many pieces of polariser I’ve ended up not sticking it to the glass at all. It’s almost like the glue is too sticky and I end up with lines and marks under the polariser. Not sure if there’s some trick to it, but if there is I certainly couldn’t work it out.