Resource Categories

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Thinking out loud here, but under the Resources section there's only 'example category' currently.

Would these make sense as resource categories?
* Capacitor Guides (for images with location and value of capacitors on boards)
* Teardown Images
* Schematic PDFs
* Software

It's quite nice having capacitor guide images, the rest of them are just stabs in the dark at things which may or may not be useful. Comment and tell me how wrong I am! :)

Reactions: fehervaria

fehervaria

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
North Germany
I clicked on the "Add resource" button, but I don't really get from the GUI Form either, what can be a "Resource".
Maybe not "any member" sould add a resource to there - think about spammers or trolls... :-/

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Personally i would have added overclocking as a sticky thread in the category of the machine you're overclocking - but if you can give an example of how you mean, we can look at it :)

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
The way i'd suggest, is post in the relevant subforum for your guides here: https://tinkerdifferent.com/forums/powerpc-g3-g4-g5-new-world-rom.48/

So rather than a single category for the topic, people can navigate to the system and find the guide there.

When you want to post - you can do so as an article rather than just a regular forum thread:

article.jpg

But that's just my personal thoughts - what do others think? :)

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Keeping them under the relevant subforum makes sense to me, personally I think guides etc will be easier to find that way.

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
What do we think should go under Resources then? If nothing seems to fit, can we disable that header to avoid people getting confused?

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Resources is i believe, a placeholder, until the content is added. Iirc, @Mac84 was going to add a buying guide for vintage macs at some point.

OzRetrocomp

New Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
youtube.com
Would it be possible to use the Resources tab to link to things both on-site (such as threads with how-tos or other important forum threads) and off-site e.g. Steve's Vintage Mac Price Guide, Bruce's recapping guides etc? If so, the Resources tab could be useful for content aggregation purposes rather than needing to reinvent wheels as such.

RetroViator

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
retroviator.com
I appreciate the effort already put into making this a quality experience. I'm excited by the possibilities of this site. The old forums are helpful but can be challenging to penetrate for newbies. Old-school BBSs are lots of fun but (understandably) lack modern conveniences and have limited audiences. Twitter, Facebook, etc., have been helpful, but they are fickle. Discord has seen lots of activity lately, but it is very transitory as new posts push out the old. I like the idea of having a place where content will remain discoverable.

I appreciate the debate on the usefulness of the Resources section, but it is very discoverable and could be quite useful if done well. I'm sure we've all built specialized bookmark lists over the years, but it would be nice to establish a definitive source for quality curated online information.

• Love
Reactions: Kai Robinson

reallyrandy

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
New Jersey
I would like to see a cap guides section for sure, They are spread out all over the place and never complete. RecapaMac has some, powercc has some, Mac84 has 1 or 2, but I can't find them all anywhere.
I don't really think a software archive is pragmatic as there are already some out there that are run well and offer tons of well-organized software.
Schematics might be good though. Take-apart guides are out there as well, mostly from ifixit.

Reactions: RetroViator

splorp

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Calgary, Alberta
splorp.com
What if we provided lists of categorized links to existing posts for caps lists, teardown guides, overclocking information, and software (like SCSI Utilities & Drivers)? Given the shear number of subforums there are, having a single resource page with links to these similar chunks of content would make a lot of sense from an organization standpoint.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Not everyone thinks the same way. This opportunity should not be approached as a one solution fits everyone's cognitive process. Folks looking for help will be coming to TD from a multitude of different cognitive angles. Yes, I agree that oveclocking for example should be in the machines respective forum category shared by users - that's what a community is about and why we're here (+ dont be Mr. lazy forum person). But I also agree completely (like 130% agree), that it makes fantastic sense to have an overclocking tab in resources that lists links to a healthy group of the known relevant content both inside and outside of TD pertaining to overclocking. The forums are great, but I still get lost sometimes trying to find threads I know I looked at before - (whatevs its a wideload forum, so no biggie). A new user I think would absolutely center in on and gravitate towards a resource quick link tab for sure to help them navigate.

This should not be an either or strategy. That would be the mistake here. To best serve a diverse community of different thinkers, the approach needs to embrace those different modes of cognitive process. My .02 cents

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick and splorp

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Another thought is in an effort to farm out the nuts n bolts work of said resource lists so Kai and team arn't shouldering absolutely everything, resource lists could be opened up to users adding links to respective categories. This would not necessarily be curated through TD crew but would be curated directly through/by the community. Conversely, link requests could be pushed through mods or something like that as well since we all know what a cush job that is :p

I am a fan of the community driven approach vs a TD curated one as that just smacks of user entitlement. I'd much rather see a resource tab tree actively curated and maintained by the community that uses it.

Last edited: