ResourceForks.com - Browse resource forks online!

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue

ResourceForks.com

Do you remember ResEdit
ResEdit_69636C34_128.png
? Poking around at Resource Forks and changing icons on your System, extracting pictures from your favorite games and messing up your computer?

ResourceForks.com is a way to relive that experience. We extract resources from Macintosh software between System 6 through 9 and display it here for you to easily consume and poke through.

If you want to poke around at extracting icons on your own HDD image check out Raiders of the Lost Icon

We have a full copy of the Macintosh Garden's site and will be (hopefully) adding every file we can to this site.

Current files, more being added all the time! - What files do you think would be good to add?
The ultimate goal is to have a process where I can let my app drive through the entire MG archive and have a searchable index of everything, but that will come later :)

--- Background
I started this project before March - there are actually tons of modern utilities to parse out resource forks but many have some limitations and I got pretty far. Then I learned that Apple allowed you to compress (and write your own compressor in asm!) for resource forks so if you come across a compressed fork you're out of luck - that was my stumbling block until I came across resource_dasm - it actually runs an emulator to run the asm code and decompress the fork! Once @OneGeekArmy released Raiders of the Lost Icon it got my butt in gear to pick this back up and make it usable before March 31st!

#MARCHintosh2023

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
So there is one sound in Maelstrom i don't remember id 117. "are you asleep at the wheel boy?"
does anybody know when that would get played ?

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
So there is one sound in Maelstrom i don't remember id 117. "are you asleep at the wheel boy?"
I don't recall this either. I think we should all play the game till we figure it out
(these are exactly the type of questions I hope to surface with this project!)

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
so... someone posted that the source code has been open sourced and there are modern clients!

So I poked around, found the sound resource 117 defined as gNoBonus in Maelstrom_Globals.h - which is used in game.cpp around line 959:

Code:
    /* -- Praise them or taunt them as the case may be */
    if (OurShip->GetBonus() == 0) {
        Delay(SOUND_DELAY);
        sound->PlaySound(gNoBonus, 5);
    }

So it seems if the bonus is 0 it plays "are you asleep at the wheel boy?" :)

Edit: seems this is only in the netlogic folder of the game - so likely only during multiplayer.

Last edited:

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
so... someone posted that the source code has been open sourced and there are modern clients!

So I poked around, found the sound resource 117 defined as gNoBonus in Maelstrom_Globals.h - which is used in game.cpp around line 959:

Code:
    /* -- Praise them or taunt them as the case may be */
    if (OurShip->GetBonus() == 0) {
        Delay(SOUND_DELAY);
        sound->PlaySound(gNoBonus, 5);
    }

So it seems if the bonus is 0 it plays "are you asleep at the wheel boy?" :)

Edit: seems this is only in the netlogic folder of the game - so likely only during multiplayer.
I remember playing the open source on ... Linux PPC on a blue and white G3. so redhat distribution when they only had redhat. (no fedora) (20-ish years ago)

But i dont' remember it being multiplayer in any version.. thats cool.

i was usually the only Mac guy around. so never did get to play much multiplayer of any games. So i prolly just never noticed when something was multiplayer.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Of course had to jump on the hype train and do Glypha III - which is in MacZip format on the garden, which is a bit odd of a format as it just takes any Resource Forks and puts them in a folder called `XtraStuf.mac` and puts them back together when unzipping. unar doesn't support it so I had to jump into an emulator, unzip it, stuff it, then bring it back.

Note the About page of Soft Dorthy is NSFW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick and Mu0n

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
must also be a bootup disk.

also i've never seen this error message before.
There isn't enough memory to remember this disk. Its image will disappear from the desktop.

interesting