Restoring a Mac SE - My Journey So Far...

PNPRetroSpective

New Tinkerer
Mar 21, 2022
Hey All!

Very new to the forums, and kind of new to the Mac side of the world. The SE I'm working on now is only my second Mac "restoration", with the first being a particularly tricky iMac G3 Blueberry a few months ago.

I picked up my SE with Dual 800K drives from someone who had been storing it for a while with a dust cover on it, and it had yellowed in the back where the dust cover didn't reach. So, I wanted to pull it apart, clean everything, remove the PRAM battery, and retrobrite the case. And, since I've been working on a retro tech YouTube channel, I filmed the entire process.

Unfortunately, filming lead to me making a rather costly mistake. When swabbing off the read heads on the drives, I flexed the top read head too far and over-extended the retention spring, so it no longer sits flush.

At this point, I decided to split the video into two parts. I discovered pretty quickly after that, at least for one of the drives, I could get it to boot by holding the head down into position by hand. And I've made some progress making this fix permanent.

If anyone is interested in the video, I thought I'd toss a link up here

And I'm happy to come back and post some before and after pictures for the case cleanup, for anyone who prefers that over video!

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. I went from no apple products to an Apple IIe, Mac SE, Powerbook G3 and G4, tower G3 and G4, iMac G3 and G4, and some older i5 based Macbook Pros in the case of a few months, although all need repairs. So I hope I'll be pretty well versed by the time this is all said and done.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
When swabbing off the read heads on the drives, I flexed the top read head too far and over-extended the retention spring, so it no longer sits flush.
i've made the same mistake. although i never tried holding down the head to see if it would work tho. going forward i'm just not gonna clean the heads.

they do have the floppy drive cleaner things. Like a fake floppy that you put some cleaner on. that might be a better option.

GiGaBiTe

Tinkerer
Feb 6, 2022
I made the same mistake on one of my floppy drives. I found that getting some heavy lead fishing weights and attaching them to the upper head arm makes the drive work again. It obviously causes clearance issues in most machines, but not in the SE.

My drive had the spring screws cross threaded from the factory, and one of them was even bent and snapped when I tried to remove it. I decided to leave it well enough alone, the lead weights make the drive work well enough lol.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
It happens... Right now, the second drive in my SE makes a loud chattering noise when it's plugged in. Head assembly is pushed forward all the way pretty much all the time.

If you get the updated ROM chips and the SWIM floppy controller chip, plus a couple FDHD mechanisms, you can turn it into a dual FDHD machine. There's even an aftermarket hard drive bracket that lets you install a hard drive on the top of the second drive. See below...

IMG_7187.JPG

Reactions: fehervaria

catboyjack

New Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2022
California
I've made the same mistake while cleaning my drive heads on both of my 800k drives. I watched the video and attempted to repair the damage, but my drives still refuse to read any disks. I'm at a point to where I don't know where to go except fully emulating disks or finding a replacement 800k drive for at least one of my bays.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
@RetroJack, grab a couple MP-F75W drives from a later Mac. Install them in place of the 800K drives that are damaged. On a M5010 SE, they will emulate the 800K drives. Then, if you decide to update to the newer ROMs and the SWIM chip, you'll be able to read/write 1.4MB disks.

Reactions: fehervaria

catboyjack

New Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2022
California
I’ve thought about it, but I’ve been completely unable to find any of those drives for a reasonable price. I saw one on eBay for $150 and that’s it. If you have any other suggestions to where I should look, I would appreciate it.