Reviving a pile of xbox 360's

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
First off I know what you're thinking, those aren't retro! I didn't think so either, then I remembered the original version came out in 2005.... I guess these are officially vintage now!

I have a pile of xbox 360 boards I have been keeping for years back form when I used to repair these regularly, all where kept for a reason, either they are still vulnerable to the JTAG hack or they where boards that worked or looked like easy fix's

The pile:
IMG_3221.JPG

The pile comprises of:
1) A Falcon revision board, RROD's with secondary error code 0022, CPU and GPU have both been reflowed, marked by me as originally having secondary code 1022. Some solder seems to have been squeezed out form under the GPU. Likely the current error code is caused by the GPU soldering issues, the original code was likely caused by a bad GPU. Will replace the GPU on this with the later one form the Jasper boards, hopefully this is all this one needs

2) Xenon board RROD's with secondary code 0102, has been reflowed before, likely just a bad GPU. Will replace the GPU with one of the later revised revisions

3) Xenon board, RROD's with secondary code 0022, has been reflowed, has a resistor missing form the bottom of it. This was sold to me years ago as a working board but I have never seen it boot. It may just be the missing resistor or it may be something else.

4) Xenon board, Currently has the JTAG mod installed, no error code (due to the board being JTAG'd), significant physical damage to the bottom of the board. I am fairly sure this board failed before it damaged. Likely has a bad GPU too (Seeing a pattern here? :) ) Bad caps around the CPU

5) Xenon board, No 3rd party rework, Currently JTAG'd so no error code, was a MS refub board as it has a '08 GPU but the rest of the parts are from mid '06. again this is likley just a bad GPU

6) Xenon board, RROD's the second the PSU is connected, no secondary code, board is JTAG'd so must have booted at some point. PSU is not actually being turned on so this has some component failer in the power section most likely. Interesting fault, not sure if this is why the board was shelved or if it has some other fault too

7) Xenon board, Boots!. CPU and GPU have both been replaced (I actually made this board out of parts form 3 septate boards years ago), Can run the old blades dash so this will be restored back and built into a full console. It dose have some weird video interference so may have issued in the video circuit (maybe a bad AV connector or bad ANA chip, or maybe (surprise) a bad GPU)

8) Xenon board, Boots! Reflowed by me in April 2013. Needs to be stress tested. Might be fine or might need a GPU

Also in that picture is my original Elite purchased in late '07 (or maybe early '08) I was originally intending to just clean this up, RGH the console and install a 1TB SSD and then play some games on it. Turned it on today and it RROD'd with secondary error code 1022 an E74 onscreen. this is a bad GPU. No surprise really as the GPU was bad 10 years ago but I reflowed it and it worked fine for years after so I never got around to actually changing the GPU. Falcon board inside so this will get a Jasper GPU with the appropriate board / firmware modifications to make this work

Not pictured is another console I need to drag out of the loft, this one has a jasper revision board installed which quit working a couple of years back, currently R-JTAG'd so isn't displaying a secondary code. I have no idea what is wrong with this one, the Jasper boards are very reliable this is the only one I have evr personally seen that just died, all the others I have seen dead where physically damaged.

Next step is to order a boatload of GPU's form china allong with some coolrunners (little boards used for CPU glitching) so I can get all the Xenons RGH'd (except for the JTAGable ones) so games can be loaded form HDD / USB rather than DVD. the two falcons and jasper will be RGH'd using a different method that doesn't require the external glitch board

Once I have parts i'll probably do a post per board :)