ROM Upgrade and BlueSCSI on SE/30: Difficulties and Progress

flufflepuck

New Tinkerer
Oct 23, 2023
Hello! First post, pleased to meet you.

I am the caretaker of a Macintosh SE/30 from 1989, and a lovely girl she is. Next time I have hand surgery (uh... tomorrow actually), I am blocking eBay on my router, because I have low impulse control when bored and on pain meds.

Petey (Pencil Test, or PT) came from eBay recapped with a replaced PRAM battery, five whole MEGABytes of RAM, a functional, newer-than-the-SE Quantum HDD that boots System 7.0.1, and a floppy drive that makes sounds like a disgruntled rabbit chewing on a power cord. No super concerning video artefacts out of the box (albeit a little bit of flickery flicker when booted from a cooldown).

So I shut her down and ordered new bits: a BlueSCSIv2™ internal, a new ROM SIMM (because I intend to get 128MB of RAM later), and a silenx fan. While I waited, it was time to open her up and print some stuff on my 3D printer. I also hacked apart an ATX power supply extension dingus so I could have the MLB on my bench later.

The TL;DR for where I am is:

Petey boots when the ROM is held in place correctly. The BlueSCSIv2™ activity light does not light, and the SCSIProbe 4.3 claims SCSI is not terminated properly. Until that happens, I have no drive to use and that is sad.

I won't be able to actively work on this for the next two weeks or so, and needed to get my thoughts down and collect suggestions on what to do next. Details follow.

Brain surgery on all-in-one toasters has a frission of danger and voltage that I do not enjoy. Once upon a time, I wore a stupid T-shirt behind a big corian bar and tried to avoid replacing power supplies on eMacs. So I know how to do it. Flathead, alligator clip, take out piercings, hand behind back, poke the sparky bit. (Yes, there's a bleeder resistor. eMacs had them too. Didn't stop them from trying to murder me. I smell like undercooked chicken when mildly electrocuted and I find that disturbing.)

Anyhow. The MLB was recapped, but not cleaned, or at least not well. Leads on the video multiplexers were pretty yuk. The analog board is untouched; functional and ok for the moment, but caps are on order. Sony Power Supply: same deal, caps on order.

I used fine tipped lint-free swabs and 99% iso alcohol with a microscope to clean the leads and traces on the main board.

The recapped logic board is cleaner than it was, and I have replaced the ROM. The 60 pin ROM SIMM clip is pretty trashed. The ROM she came with was dirty in more ways than usual; someone had hot glued it into the SIMM *and* then jammed two B-flavor PotatoFI mounts over the cold hot glue, which warped the mounts so that they don't work after being removed.

After spending a few hours with an Xacto knife and 99% iso alcohol, I have removed the hot glue and checked the connectors with a microscope; they aren't broken at least. *BUT*... Despite the SIMM being a decent thickness according to my calipers, PT doesn't POST chime and displays thick horizontal bands if the SIMM isn't pulled forward in P R E C I S E L Y the right amount. So I have deployed a pair of rubber bands for the moment, because I wanted to see how BlueSCSIv2™ does.

IMG_7337.jpeg

BlueSCSIv2™, as it happens, does not. Yet.

I have two device images on the SD card (System 7.1 and 6.0.8), and confirmed that the Pico likes them (log.txt is my friend). Basilisk mounted and booted from them in testing. Power light lights up when I boot from the ROM disk. The activation light does not. Light, that is. The termination jumper is set. But Petey does not see the device.

When I boot from the ROM disk and run SCSIProbe 4.3, it complains that the SCSI bus is not terminated. This, with *or* without SCSI cable and BlueSCSIv2™ attached. Hmm. Welp.

IMG_7339.jpeg

That is as far as I got. Grump. I have thumb surgery tomorrow, and it will be a few weeks before I will be able to work with both hands; I didn't want her sitting open to dust and the elements (read: cats, and their fur), so I have reassembled Petey and put components into a project box for the next week or two.

Thoughts from the last few minutes as I write this:

I have not tested the fuse at F1 on the MLB yet (because I only just now found that suggestion in The Dead Mac Scrolls, and time stubbornly moves forward for me despite the complaints I have lodged with The Management). Similarly, there are no jumper resistors installed at J3 and J5 near RP2 and RP3 on the MLB, and there shouldn't be; but if there were that would tell me that someone diddled with the SCSI chain. Also, I forgot to test with the Quantum SCSI hdd I replaced with BlueSCSIv2™ before I reassembled Petey; it *did* work before all this so that would be useful to try next time.

To sum up:

* I used some iso to swab clean parts of the main board, and I want to make sure to clean it more better later without upfucking it. I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner. I do have distilled water. Suggestions?
* rubber bands hold my ROMinator in place right now, and if it's stupid and works it isn't stupid. I will try printing new clips with tighter infill and dimensional stability whatzit for next time. If that doesn't work... replace the SIMM socket?
* BlueSCSIv2™ is not inside Petey rn. I do not know what to do next on this part of the project, but until it is solved, Petey is just an attractive box on my desk.

When the tendons in my dominant hand have stitched themselves back together, I will be able to take the next steps. Until then, I live in hope.

Last edited:

flufflepuck

New Tinkerer
Oct 23, 2023
If the ROM SIMM slot is trashed and the PotatoFi clips aren't helping, you can buy a replacement here:

Be warned that you'll likely still need to use the PotatoFi clips, as most reproduction ROM SIMMs are slightly too thin.
(That link appears to be broken, FYI)

Thanks, though! I plan to print another set first, on the theory that mine also appear to have bent a tiny bit from being squished over the hot glue.

IMG_7333.jpeg The left tab was broken off at some point and was a big greasy gob of goo. If I wasn't determined to replace the ROM that came with it, I'd have left it alone.

Probably not the worst anyone's seen. But definitely gave me a hard time.

Attachments

• IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7334.jpeg
    IMG_7334.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

flufflepuck

New Tinkerer
Oct 23, 2023
Thanks to the minimum purchase requirements from The Connector People, I now own 15 64 pin ROM SIMMs with metal tabs.

(I did mention having poor impulse control post surgery)

IMG_7379.jpeg

IMG_7381.jpeg

IMG_7383.jpeg

Part Number: 822019-2 TYCO-AMP-TE CONNECTIVITY
Datasheet attached to this post.

This is an obsolete new-old-stock part, and appears to be the same as the PE Connectors SIMM at first inspection. One of those should arrive here soon as well (see above re impulse control) and I will compare them.

Shown here is a test fit of the ROM which came with my SE/30. If these are good (time will tell), it's a good thing to have another supplier of metal tab SIMM slots, no?

Attachments

• AMPIS45146-1.pdf
    161.1 KB · Views: 46

S. Pupp

New Tinkerer
Apr 2, 2023
My own order of 11 (thanks to this thread) is arriving tomorrow. I only needed five, but hey - it’s motivation (and excuse) to buy more SE/30’s to refurbish!

Sani

New Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2023
Did you ever find a solution to the BlueSCSI issues? I have the same problem -- SCSIProbe isn't seeing it at all, even when I have USB power going to it. It was seeing the failed Quantum hard drive that was in it before (it could see the drive, but it wouldn't spin up). I'm wondering if I need to get some sort of adapter to run power from the four-pin Molex to the mini four-pin power connector on the BlueSCSI next to where the ribbon cable plugs in. Anyone know what sort of adapter would work?

I'd also like to figure out a way to mount the BlueSCSI to the expansion slot on the back so I can remove the SD card without taking the entire case apart, at least eventually. I don't have a 3D printer, but I might be able to figure out how to use the one at the library.

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
Hi bluescsi should just work, are you sure its actually OK? have you removed the dead Quantum drive?

Sani

New Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2023
Yes, I removed the old hard drive. It would show up in SCSIProbe but it wouldn't ever spin up.

When it's hooked up just via the SCSI ribbon cable, no LEDs on the BlueSCSI light up. I tried running a USB-C cable to it as well and the bright white LED on the board (not on the Pico, on the blue board, marked "PWR" does light up, but it still doesn't show up in SCSIProbe.

I'm going to try removing all but one image from the SD card and see if it works then. I have a few images on there at the moment, including an image of the Apple Legacy Recovery CD and a 6 GB hard disk image created in Disk Jockey. The SD card is formatted as ExFAT.

indigo_k

New Tinkerer
Oct 13, 2023
Do yourself, and future owners of that machine, a favour and get the metal clip version.. I bought these for my SE/30's and they fit perfect. An extra $1 for the metal clip is a no-brainer..

G.
Oh dang! Do these need to be soldered in place? I'm tempted to order a bunch and pre-emptively replace all the SIMM sockets in my stack of SEs and PLUSes just to help future-proof these machines

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Oh dang! Do these need to be soldered in place? I'm tempted to order a bunch and pre-emptively replace all the SIMM sockets in my stack of SEs and PLUSes just to help future-proof these machines
Yes, but it's not difficult - just a little fiddly and time-consuming if you're doing a few machines... more so on the removal front than the install. A vacuum desoldering tool makes this a lot easier.

Reactions: flufflepuck

flufflepuck

New Tinkerer
Oct 23, 2023
Did you ever find a solution to the BlueSCSI issues? I have the same problem -- SCSIProbe isn't seeing it at all, even when I have USB power going to it. It was seeing the failed Quantum hard drive that was in it before (it could see the drive, but it wouldn't spin up). I'm wondering if I need to get some sort of adapter to run power from the four-pin Molex to the mini four-pin power connector on the BlueSCSI next to where the ribbon cable plugs in. Anyone know what sort of adapter would work?

I'd also like to figure out a way to mount the BlueSCSI to the expansion slot on the back so I can remove the SD card without taking the entire case apart, at least eventually. I don't have a 3D printer, but I might be able to figure out how to use the one at the library.
I have not yet been able to attempt it. I had (planned) surgery on my dominant hand shortly after posting the thread, so have had to wait until using a screwdriver is allowed by my occupational therapist. (Not yet.) When I can, be certain it will show up here!

ETA:

Also, I just received an SD card extension cable in the mail from Adafruit, and plan to 3D print something like this: https://www.printables.com/model/524304-macintosh-se-and-se30-sd-card-bracket

Last edited:

flufflepuck

New Tinkerer
Oct 23, 2023
Yes, but it's not difficult - just a little fiddly and time-consuming if you're doing a few machines... more so on the removal front than the install. A vacuum desoldering tool makes this a lot easier.
What they said ^^^^^

If you go for a solder sucker, I can tell you from experience that one with a soft silicone tip is a huge quality of life upgrade over the ones with a hard plastic nose cone.

Like this one (currently out of stock but a good reference for what I mean): https://www.adafruit.com/product/1597

jab14114

New Tinkerer
Jan 3, 2024
France
Hi All,

I'm (trying) to repair a SE/30 after a battery explosion.
My ROM Simm connector is bad and I would like to replace it however I can't find any spare part in France neither Mouser or Digikey.
If anyone of you who got some spare is willing to ship one to me, I'm happy to pay everything.

Let me know.

Jon