Run a Color Classic without an analog board or tube?

LeadedSolder

New Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Western Canada
www.leadedsolder.com
I may have a suggestion,….. to have a look/search for small trinitron monitors wich may fit your purpose.
Had a quick search on ebay and showed two 8 inches. (Could be 9” build format, like with the other compact Macs)
Based on squinting at their respective analogue boards, I suspect there's a lot of overlap between the Colour Classic AB and a 9" Sony PVM.

I do have a CC with some very scorched Zener diodes on the AB that I could probably try reversing, but analogue stuff is not my specialty.

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
Quick update on power - the pin outs were right - the -5v must be on one of the other pins.

Hooked up the LC PSU & tied the grounds together - no chime (head phones plugged in) and no scsi activity. Next step is to re-validate this board works (worked when it was pulled months ago)
According to the bomarc schematics, -5V is on J13-B pin 2, the first pin on the underside next to the power section. But it's only used for the serial port.

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Bad suggestion on my part as its a 10“ CRT

Attachments

• 731B4EA5-A6E3-4C74-AC28-EBBDBF2D9AC6.jpeg
    731B4EA5-A6E3-4C74-AC28-EBBDBF2D9AC6.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 47

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
…We don't talk about iPad Macs, no no no 🎶

Ok…..then better startup a CRT factory then.
How will this end in thirty or so +years, when most tubes have died 😢

Erics topic here is - without an analog board or tube-
Other solutions are not accepted?

Tinkerdifferent

Last edited:

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
…We don't talk about iPad Macs, no no no 🎶

Ok…..then better startup a CRT factory then.
How will this end in thirty or so +years, when most tubes have died 😢

Erics topic here is - without an analog board or tube-
Other solutions are not accepted?

Tinkerdifferent
Sorry dude, I guess my "we don't talk about bruno" joke was a dud.

• Haha
Reactions: Alf Torp

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
That must be a cultural thing them, I guess…

But just curious, what would be the max lifespan for a (trinitron?) CRT & Electronics ?
Closest I can imagine is "yet to be determined"... There are crt oscilloscopes from the early 1920's that still work, just as just about every crt I "have ever met" still worked when they were trashed. The crt worked. Imagine how many crt's have been scrapped because ONE. SINGLE. $0.10 capacitor stopped working...

Reactions: -SE40-

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Thanks!
So, tube control electronics can mostly be repaired.
Tubes itself can fail due to burn-in damage (may still work) and mechanical damage - (cracked)

Now I leave this thread to Erics CC monitor/display solution.🍀

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
what would be the max lifespan for a CRT?
Given that my SE/30's CRT still works after more than 30 years, I'd say almost forever. There have been reports that a CRT from the 1920s still works. I've had a Sony Trinitron monitor still working after 20 years. I honestly do not believe there is a maximum lifespan for CRTs because it depends on many factors. Yet, CRTs are built to last, unlike LCDs. :sneaky: :cool:

By the way, CRTs such as Sony Trinitron have much better low latency than LCDs.

Here's an analogy:

mib-car.gif
FlamboyantAccurateFunnelweaverspider-max-1mb.gif
CRT​
LCD​

Last edited:

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Ohyeah CRT wil last 100+ years…..👍

(Aslong we can buy or can recreate the needed

replacement parts)

3517DC85-E9C1-4EBA-87DC-8D497BC1D341.jpeg
Another analog-y

I actually like both, a bit of color makes it much nicer/practical……

CAFBDAAF-B29E-412F-B783-2EBD6F39D85C.jpeg

LCD, TFT or whatever (better) replacements may come in the future can easy be exchanged when wished for 🍀

Genjoke

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Brazil - Rio de Janeiro - Flamengo
The glass neck was cracked.
I have the exact problem with a 68030 upgraded Classic… and no shipping to blame… I broke the neck while trying to fiddle the accelerator board inside.

After watching Adrian's video on RGBtoHDMI on the Classic I decided to go with an LCD.

I've put this project aside but I am now willing to start it! I thought the same as you, to get rid of the analogic board.

Now my tech-ignorant question to you guys: which kind of modern power supply would I need to buy to replace the analogic board?

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I have the exact problem with a 68020 upgraded Classic… and no shipping to blame… I broke the neck while trying to fiddle the accelerator board inside.

After watching Adrian's video on RGBtoHDMI on the Classic I decided to go with an LCD.

I've put this project aside but I am now willing to start it! I thought the same as you, to get rid of the analogic board.

Now my tech-ignorant question to you guys: which kind of modern power supply would I need to buy to replace the analogic board?

Hi @Genjoke! :) 👋

Sorry to hear about your mishap with the CRT neck. 😔

Yes, you can go without the analog board. You can get the Meanwell RT-85B PSU to replace the stock PSU:

323652.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Genjoke