Scaling an Open Source DIY 3D Scanner to computer case dimensions?

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Crazy morning musing of the day. Ran across this information on open source hardware and software.

Scanning my IIfx, Q950 or at least the Radius 81/110 in one piece on a DIY would be epic. CC and smaller would be OK too. Limiting factor would be gear toothed inner arc something on the order of the 42" i.d. given size of a 4x8 foot sheet of furniture grade plywood and medium size CNC Router Table dimensions.

Taking it over the top, as usual. :rolleyes:

Dunno, got some rudimentary drafting playtime out of it if nothing else. :p

Scanner-Track-00.JPG

Robot to crawl around the geared arc should be a fun project . . . for someone who knows stuff.

edit: thinking worm gear interface for track traverse might be accurate enough?

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Limiting factor would be gear toothed inner arc something on the order of the 42" i.d. given size of a 4x8 foot sheet of furniture grade plywood and medium size CNC Router Table dimensions.

To spin a turntable? Why not belt drive?

If you meant a stationary object and moving camera...

I'd probably try to hang something from the ceiling, a counterweighted arm of some kind.

Last edited:

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Scanning to 3D is very interresting.
The result -output- of scanning is a pointcloud (asfar as I know) that needs to be converted to vectors….
Unless its organic shaped,
you may better of to redraw it in 3D CAD.
8F91CAC1-79A3-4FC1-A850-1318726A9A1E.jpeg

If you may not have such software, have a look at Solid Edge….👍🍀👍

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Most hobbyists use Fusion from Autodesk,
Siemens Solidedge is more userfriendly -to my findings- but thats something personal.
2D06C442-8580-4E0F-A307-C45D73961D90.jpeg

I believe there is also an Apple desktop version available.

Just check!

🍀

lobust

Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
Scanning to 3D is very interresting.
The result -output- of scanning is a pointcloud (asfar as I know) that needs to be converted to vectors….
Unless its organic shaped,
you may better of to redraw it in 3D CAD.

If you may not have such software, have a look at Solid Edge….👍🍀👍

Yes, the output of 3D scanning is a point cloud generally in the form of STL mesh. This is true of industrial and hobby scanners alike, and converting STL mesh to solid or surface geometry is not a simple translation. Tools exist for this purpose but they are not perfect and the actually good ones are expensive.

RE. Solidedge vs fusion; the principle reason to avoid fusion is to avoid Autodesk's shitty anti-consumer behaviour.

Reactions: -SE40-

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Correct, autodesk reduced fusion functionalitys over time, getting that available to paying customers only.

They did offer also a nice program 123catch. A fotogrametry 3D scanning software for the Ipad. That was also removed from the store, for some fake marketing reason I suspect.
Not my brand.

davidg5678

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Have you looked into using an iPhone as a 3D scanner? I believe there are some apps available that use the built-in FaceID sensor to scan physical objects.

Here's one I found: https://hege.sh/index

I'm not sure how the quality compares with other options, but I think this app or something similar could be worth a shot, especially if you already have an iPhone or know someone who could loan you theirs while you take some scans. I think the app is paid, but I didn't find the price yet (hopefully it's relatively inexpensive).

Reactions: -SE40-

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Nice, getting a course on this stuff! Open source software in the review linked in OP would be target.

I'll have to play with the drawing later:
__ CNC routed or better laser cut plywood arc is geared on the inside
__ outer ring and sides engaged by rollers on the sensor crawler
__ robotic track crawler's worm gear moves it around an over 270 degree stepped view
__ variable height pedestal base geared for CNC rotation
__ anything that fits within the cubic of a flat bottomed sphere something like 39" in diameter can be scanned.
__ bigass thing knocks down for flat pack storage

Last edited:

lobust

Tinkerer
Nov 14, 2021
Correct, autodesk reduced fusion functionalitys over time, getting that available to paying customers only.

Better not go too far down that rabbit hole in this completely unrelated forum but*

As far as open source goes, FreeCAD is the only game in town. It's rough around the edges and perpetually unfinished, but remains the only truly free 3D cad to offer most of the functionality of its industrial peers.

Meshlab is an essential part of anyone's toolset who deals with STL too. If your workflow involves Point Cloud Data > STL Mesh > Volumetric solids or surfaces, you will very quickly learn to love Meshlabs Quadric Edge Collapse Decimation tool!

*I am a long time user of a software suite (Delcam) that they bought in 2015 and plundered in order to make Fusion, and then switched everything to a subscription model to fund Fusion's development, and have added zero new features in years and will eventually kill it off after they have coerced all their users to use Fusion instead. As you can probably tell I am particularly bitter about it and hate Autodesk vehemently!

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Even if the user gets AutoCAD free as a student, the terms and conditions are NOT good, e.g., educational use only and nothing else. No flexibility. Then, if they find out they are not a student anymore, they have the option to take legal action like Adobe. I refuse to get AutoCAD.

Thank you, @lobust, for pointing out FreeCAD. :)

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
May I ask what you actually wish to achieve, once you have your pointcloud scans?
Build it and they will come?

Expanding the envelope of tool capability is just something I've always done. I have/had an incredible array of tools at my disposal over the years. If I didn't have it or couldn't afford it, I bodged what I needed from what was on hand. I was an avid photojournalist for yearbook/school papers and artistic side as well. In the 1970s 3D scanning using the likes of this contraption for iterative profile capture popped into my head. Worked it out on paper to explain it to someone and promptly shelved the notion back in my head.

A member mentioned 3D scanning, so DuckGo'd a bit (Google is your worst enemy) That DIY 3D scanning page caught me up and off the shelf the old notions came. This project seems worth investigating on its own merits, if only in theory.

This is the CNC automated version on a much smaller scale. Sensor's the digital equivalent of upgrading my (then Leica M3) camera to the capabilities of the Stereo Realist I've had in my collection for decades.

Back to your question: scanning overly large, complex shaped objects on the order of CC, 5500 of the towers I mentioned would be possible targets as was the human form (statues) in the day. An affordable expansion of the DIY 3D scanning envelope is the origin, this is the journey, destination isn't all that relevant to the path of exploration. 🙃

edit: Autodesk buying up my beloved Generic CAD earned enmity in olden times @lobust

Last edited:

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
@360alaska
Thats great to have access to.
Do you want to share the brand/specs?

I have one wish ….😇
Scanning the inside and outside of a SE30.

Ive redrawn it from measurements, for my SE40 project…..but I may be off here and there….
Would appreciate that, if possible.

🍀

360alaska

New Tinkerer
May 18, 2022
I ordered a CR scan lizard: https://www.creality.com/products/creality-cr-scan-lizard-3d-scanner

It is better for scanning small and medium items than their CR-01 which is better for larger items.

Anyways, it's supposed to be coming today.

• Love
Reactions: lobust and retr01

360alaska

New Tinkerer
May 18, 2022
This was my first try scanning the front of a mac classic, I will need a long usb extension cable to be able to go around it.
IMG_5700.jpg