SCSI RIDER, SCSI Device to Logic Board 50pin Adapter

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
This is riser card for connecting SCSI devices like BlueSCSI to the internal SCSI 50pin connector. Especially designed for Mac SE/30, SE, Classic, Classic2.

This product is our design, but it is open source and anyone can make it freely. We do not waive the right and prohibit the production for the purpose of sale.

We have kits in stock in our store, but I'm going to write this sparingly because it's hard when it gets too busy.

Our Store 5USD Kit inclouds:
-SCSI RIDER Bare PCB
-330 ohms Resister
-Blue LED
-Poly Switch 1A
*You need to buy female 50pin connector x2 by yourself (Not our store):
https://www.digikey.com/short/dwq849tr

Assembly guide:

Last edited:

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
How can we make our order so as to get the $7 shipping vs the $23 shipping? I didn't see a way to do that in the cart. I'd actually like to buy two kits.

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
How can we make our order so as to get the $7 shipping vs the $23 shipping? I didn't see a way to do that in the cart. I'd actually like to buy two kits.
I'm seeing the option to switch to airmail in the shopping cart, maybe it was added after you looked?

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 14.43.04.png

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
I just made the order - there was the option to change to a $7 shipping option so I took it. If there are issues with the order please let me know.

Thanks!

Reactions: Kay K.M.Mods

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hey @Kay K.M.Mods! This SCSI Rider is AWESOME! I watched @JDW doing sweat work showing how to put it together. Cool! 🤩

Now, I am wondering...can you consider making SCSI Fat Lighting Rider? It would be a tribute to riding the Harley Davidson Fat Boy motorcycles, specifically for DB25 to DB25 angle.

1681166743487.png

I could buy a female-to-male right-angle DB25 connector like this one:

1681166914949.png

Awww, where is the light show?!! Yeah, the BlueSCSI would have blinkies but not that plain right-angle connector. I'd want a bright LED light to flash lighting very brightly behind whatever Mac that would illuminate the wall from a 3D-printed case like this and still can use the other ports on the back of most Macs AND still can have a pass-through to hook up other SCSI devices:

1681168328363.png

So, SCSI Fat Lighting Rider! What do you think, @Kay K.M.Mods? :)

Last edited:

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
@retr01

Right. Actually, we considered until the end whether to use DB25 or IDC50 for the rearmost connector, but we adopted IDC50. We have adopted as many possibilities as possible.
But the DB25 version is actually complete...😅

A right angle might be interesting, but what do you use it for?

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
A right angle might be interesting, but what do you use it for?

Well, with DB25 right angle, an external BlueSCSI v2 could be straight up and does not block other ports like it was back in the day with the external pocket hard drive as @JDW was talking about in his video.

Then, with passthrough DB25, other SCSI devices could be hooked up as well.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Even if I don't make it, it's already someone's project😅

Yes, those can be found at multiple places online and is merely an adapter. It does not have pass-through DB25 to daisy chain another SCSI device.

In the early 1990s, there were several "pocket" external hard drives, such as the HitchHiker by Mass Microsystems. The HitchHiker featured a pass-through SCSI and a 90-degree orientation. In the above picture, I illustrated a modern possibility. Using 3D printing and PCB designs would allow this.

Here is an advertisement by Mass Microsystems in the May 1992 issue of MacWorld magazine that shows the HitchHiker in the upper left area of the page:

1681313142968.png

On the VintageGeek Blog, a page explains this HitchHiker product.

Nevertheless, I understand that the external SCSI Rider can daisy chain, as explained by @JDW. I like the HitchHiker's looks and features. ;)

Last edited:

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
@retr01
I see, actually I have a hitchhiker. But I never felt the need for daisy chaining.
However, as I wrote before, the design to attach the out of DB25 to the rearmost is almost completed.
If I have time, I will fix it and show you....😄

• Love
Reactions: retr01

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@retr01
I see, actually I have a hitchhiker.
Ooooooooooh!

Please post some photos, Kay. There are so few on the internet now.

Honestly, if a future BlueSCSI v2 could be made smaller with a more expensive 4-layer PCB, and if someone could make a 3D-printable clone of that HitchHiker plastic case so that a smaller BSv2 would fit inside, that might become an even more popular solution because the Hitchhiker doesn’t block the external floppy drive connector on an SE or SE/30.

• Love

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Please post some photos, Kay.

Yes, yes! 🤩

Honestly, if a future BlueSCSI v2 could be made smaller with a more expensive 4-layer PCB, and if someone could make a 3D-printable clone of that HitchHiker plastic case so that a smaller BSv2 would fit inside, that might become an even more popular solution because the Hitchhiker doesn’t block the external floppy drive connector on an SE or SE/30.

I second with @JDW! 😁🤘

Easier if simply send a 3D STL file of the design to a 3D printing company in Japan to mass produce for Kay. :)

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
With that said, I don't want our "talk about the future" to discourage people from buying what is available right now. "Innovation" is all about 改善 KAIZEN, which is the quest to make something better. That can and should take place. But if we always wait for the future, we will never cease waiting and miss out on a lot of great stuff. Kay makes great stuff. I really mean it. The Kero's Mac Mods store offers amazing enhancements that every vintage Mac owner should seriously consider. Don't let future improvements hold you back from getting something you can use today!

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
SCSI Rider2 DB25 Ver. *lost work

OK, this was Plan B, with a female DB25 placed at the back. This is for daisy chaining.
I'll update this later, but I'd like to point out some caveats.
As I said last time, I know a few my friends have wanted this. But sorry guys! I myself am not very interested in this!
So I have no intention of creating this.
I think the design works well. Gerber is provided free of charge, so anyone interested can create it.
SCSIRIDER2TANDEM1_db25:f.jpgSCSIRIDER2TANDEM1_db25:f_b.jpg

HitchHiker HD 2.5 case

Also, JDW wanted to know if I really had a 2.5 HD case, so I sent him a picture, but I'll upload it here as well.
It's a pretty bad design to be honest. There is no ground fill, and the +5V line is air wiring. Diodes and resistors are added later.

IMG_5455.jpegIMG_5456.jpegIMG_5457.jpegIMG_5458.jpegIMG_5461.jpegIMG_5459.jpegIMG_5460.jpeg

• Love

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@Kay K.M.Mods, your designs are outstanding! 😍🤘

Gerber is provided free of charge, so anyone interested can create it.

Fantastic! I LOVE that logo design for this one with the rider and companion! 😁

It's a pretty bad design to be honest. There is no ground fill, and the +5V line is air wiring. Diodes and resistors are added later.

I agree. Terrible and cheap design by Mass Microsystems. Not surprising, though, as it was back in the day when the margins and circumstances were different.

So, I was thinking. The case can be thinner. It could be adjusted to accommodate whatever SCSI SD product people want. The locations of the DB25 connectors can match that SCSI DB25 Rider PCB. It would be much better and more straightforward with a simpler design than the HitchHiker. :geek: