SCSI RIDER, SCSI Device to Logic Board 50pin Adapter

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
@Kay K.M.Mods, is the 50-pin SCSI connector within the width of the HitchHiker?
Are you talking about the hitchhiker with the black gray case that I own?
This case is designed to fit all 2.5inch hard drives and is compatible with 2.0mm pitch 50pin pin headers. If the 50 pins you were thinking of were 2.54mm pitch, that's not the case.

Whereas SCSI RIDER 2 DB25 is 2.54 50 pins. Of course this assumes you have BlueSCSI desktop installed.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Are you talking about the hitchhiker with the black gray case that I own?

Yes.

This case is designed to fit all 2.5inch hard drives and is compatible with 2.0mm pitch 50pin pin headers. If the 50 pins you were thinking of were 2.54mm pitch, that's not the case.

Gotcha. However, use a 2.54 mm pitch 50-pin to work with a BlueSCSI desktop. Not 2.0mm like it was with the HitchHiker.

Whereas SCSI RIDER 2 DB25 is 2.54 50 pins. Of course this assumes you have BlueSCSI desktop installed.

Right. The point is a new case like the HitchHiker, slightly modded and 3D printed, that uses the SCSI Rider DB25 with SCSI daisy chain chaining ability to DB25 out with a BlueSCSI desktop inside. Plus, have a clear LED window for the SCSI Rider DB25 LED to flash brightly through the case. :)

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
Yes.

Gotcha. However, use a 2.54 mm pitch 50-pin to work with a BlueSCSI desktop. Not 2.0mm like it was with the HitchHiker.

Right. The point is a new case like the HitchHiker, slightly modded and 3D printed, that uses the SCSI Rider DB25 with SCSI daisy chain chaining ability to DB25 out with a BlueSCSI desktop inside. Plus, have a clear LED window for the SCSI Rider DB25 LED to flash brightly through the case. :)
What I showed you is my scrap designed plan B that I had already made;) I don't think I will develop this product any further. As I said last time, I'm not really interested in daisy chaining products as you said... good Luck!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Kay, I think the only reason this discussion came up is because SCSI Rider 2 blocks the external floppy drive connector on the back of an SE or SE/30. The HitchHiker doesn't block it. So by having something in the form factor of the HitchHiker, you basically have a SCSI Rider 2 that does NOT block the external floppy drive connector.

I don't see that as a deal-breaker for the SCSI Rider 2. And I mentioned the blocking of the floppy connector in my video, of course. It's just a "usage footnote" for people to keep in mind when using SCSI Rider 2. You cannot plug in an external floppy drive into an SE or SE/30 at the same time you use the SCSI Rider 2.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I want to use BMOW's Floppy Emu simultaneously with the DB25, but I like the BlueSCSI v2 DB25 to be upright like the HitchHiker and still can hook up an external CDROM drive that I have on my SE/30.

So, I see this as a niche and a possibility. I understand that may not be feasible if there isn't demand, yet my experience is that people often think the same.

I still LOVE the SCSI Rider!!!!! :) I plan to get it when the time is right for me.

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
@JDW Yea, in that case, it is necessary to make the PCB a through hole and install it vertically. like a hitchhiker. However, on models other than the SE/30, such as the LC, there is a slight contact with the ADB cable connector, and a small problem. Not all of these can be resolved.

Ahhh, I forgot, but the FloppyEMU interference has been resolved. 325C3D15-60B7-4909-A86C-B40ED533FF6C.jpeg

I want to use BMOW's Floppy Emu simultaneously with the DB25, but I like the BlueSCSI v2 DB25 to be upright like the HitchHiker and still can hook up an external CDROM drive that I have on my SE/30.

So, I see this as a niche and a possibility. I understand that may not be feasible if there isn't demand, yet my experience is that people often think the same.

I still LOVE the SCSI Rider!!!!! :) I plan to get it when the time is right for me.
I see, that's make sense...I don't think I can do it right away, so I'll give it some thought. But can't expect much 😅 I'm working on a few different projects right now. take it easy...

The two of you have slightly different needs, but I can't give you one custom item that fits each😂
I've thought about it, but it's difficult to develop the current PCB design, and it's far from the SCSI RIDER concept. So we have to redesign from a different perspective. I would appreciate it if you guys could take that as a separate topic.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JDW and retr01

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@Kay K.M.Mods
You are a master problem solver!

1681959304953.png

And just to let everyone know, that PCB on the left is a replacement for the FloppyEMU's adapter PCB. You just plug the ribbon cable of the FloppyEMU into Kay's red PCB replacement.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
And just to let everyone know, that PCB on the left is a replacement for the FloppyEMU's adapter PCB. You just plug the ribbon cable of the FloppyEMU into Kay's red PCB replacement.

Does the ribbon from the BMOW Floppy Emu have to be gone over rather than plugged in straight to be able to use the BlueSCSI desktop with the SCSI Rider DB25 simultaneously?

Reactions: Kay K.M.Mods

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I assume your FloppyEMU ribbon cable would need to point straight up because the BSv2 would prevent that cable from pointing straight out the back. I cannot say more because I don't yet have one of Kay's replacement adapters for FloppyEMU.

I just like how Kay thinks. That's not just because he understands THINK DIFFERENT. The main reason is because Kay is always thinking. People who think that much come out with great ideas. You can see a lot of that in the Kero's Mac Mods store.