SE/30, not looking SE/Dirty!

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
I finally got my SE/30 - the zebra stripe fella. It was powering on and showing horizontal zebra stripes before shipping, but now it has a no power condition when turned on. No biggie, hardly a surprise. Probably a cracked solder joint that was barely hanging on before the truck hit a pothole.

I air dusted, but have not yet ultrasonic cleaned the logic board, because I wanted to share pics before the bath cleaned potentially important clues of any problems away. But from what I can tell, no cap leak and no battery bombing.

I've attached flash and no flash photos of the logic board, front and back. Do any of you see anything that needs to be addressed or looks like damage? My next step will be to reflow the usual connector joints and see if it works.

Interesting it has an MC cpu. Afaik, Apple used XC cpus. Must have been a user upgrade, in which case the FPU would be redundant, no?

Thanks!

Katrina

IMG_9130.jpeg

IMG_9131.jpeg

IMG_9135.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

IMG_9137.jpeg

Reactions: Patrick

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I believe you're using the XC and MC nomenclature incorrectly. MC just means a qualified part. XC means 'in development'. It does not refer to an FPU or not. In 68040 land, 68040 means fully enabled part, 68LC040 means no FPU, 68EC040 means no MMU or FPU.

In the 68030, there was no such designation as the 030 always used an external FPU and the whole point of the 68030 was that it was a 68020 with a built in MMU.

The particular CPU you have, looks soldered. Most SE/30's were. Even if you were lucky enough to get a socketed board, there's no 'upgrade' to perform.

The board looks dirty and it will need a recap for sure, i can see capacitor grot on the board.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
I believe you're using the XC and MC nomenclature incorrectly. MC just means a qualified part. XC means 'in development'. It does not refer to an FPU or not. In 68040 land, 68040 means fully enabled part, 68LC040 means no FPU, 68EC040 means no MMU or FPU.

In the 68030, there was no such designation as the 030 always used an external FPU and the whole point of the 68030 was that it was a 68020 with a built in MMU.

The particular CPU you have, looks soldered. Most SE/30's were. Even if you were lucky enough to get a socketed board, there's no 'upgrade' to perform.

The board looks dirty and it will need a recap for sure, i can see capacitor grot on the board.

Cool. Thanks for the informative reply!

Could you please tell me which area(s) you see the grot so I can get better at spotting it? To me, I thought I was looking at a spotless, if dusty, logic board.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Not tryna brag, but your girl got all the ram and rom sticks off her SE/30 mobo without breaking a single clip!

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
Could you please tell me which area(s) you see the grot so I can get better at spotting it? To me, I thought I was looking at a spotless, if dusty, logic board.

Normal, but significant crust and electrolyte pooling around the caps. You'll possibly need to remove and clean underneath the video muxes to clear shorts there.

Attachments

• IMG_9131.jpeg
    IMG_9131.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52